Prop question again

Chalagi

Some props have the 10x4.5 R marked on the top side, sooooo the "R" meaning reverse (CCW)? Also is it safe and can I run 4S batteries with the 10" props? The 3S batteries seem to not have enough power for the 10" props. As a matter of fact the F550 running on a 3S system seems to be very short on power. Mayeb its just becase I come for a super powerfull T-Rex 500 the really thumps in power. so please correct me if I'm wrong and I will shut the heck up.

Chalagi

Last edited by a moderator:

astr0b0y

General school of thought is that 8" is best for 4S and 10" for 3S. The higher RPM from 4S could possible be part of the cause of 10" prop failures in flight that have been reported. Also the amount of prop wash from 10" on 4S means that it would be less stable in a hover and descending. You may find that it suits you though so go for it if it does.
The 550 is definitely not as lively as a heli, but you'll find it very relaxing to fly. Try manual mode and it will climb much more quickly and be more aggressive, still not like a heli but not too bad.

1045R is for clockwise rotation, 1045 is for anti-clockwise rotation. Check the diagram in the instructions before you wire the Naza and put on the props.

Chalagi

Well I took a guess and put the props marked "R" on the arms that had a CW rotation. I hope to be able to increase the gains some this afternoon and see what the hexa will do. Because it seems kinda slow on commands. I will increase the basic gains by 5% each.

astr0b0y

Increasing the gains will make the unit more stable, it's not quite the same as FBL on helis. Try the 8" props, I think you'll find that livens it up a bit.

Mrk172

I now only use 4s with the 10" props and never had a problem with the stock props.

The key to it is to balance your motors and props !!

4s 3300 with 10" stock props.

Chalagi

Thanks for the reply MRK I guess that props are kinda like helicopter blades you get good and bad blades in everything. To me it just seems like a 10" prop should be powered by a 4S battery. I would not want to power my 500 heli on a 3s it would just sit there.

Mrk172

Having experience flying collective pitch helicopters definitely helps with flying Quads. Especially in manual mode. The Hexa is pretty much the same but orientation takes some getting used to and don't expect to be able to throw the Hexa around like you can with a 450-500 heli.