Tau Labs Prop directions

Kilby

So I have a simple question. In my GCS when I select tricopter I see prop rotations of ccw, cw & ccw for motors 1,2, 3. I have mine set up cw, ccw & ccw. In theory it seems like it shouldn't matter, but I want to confirm here just in case. Anyone know?

I think you are right that it shouldn't matter as long as the yaw servo is the right direction (hint: in output you can click rev direction - please don't click for ESC ;-)

matwelli

i wont make any difference. you can have all three props the same direction if you want, just need more angle in the yaw servo to compensate

berkely

i wont make any difference. you can have all three props the same direction if you want, just need more angle in the yaw servo to compensate

Sorry, I have to disagree here a little bit ;)
In theory of course it won't matter, the yaw servo just has to deal with it.

However it seems that the tricopter's level itself is suffering a little if the forward props are not counter rotating. I can reproduce it on my tricopter, when all 3 props are running the same direction, the copter is not 100% level but slightly hanging under an angle. On my bigger tricopter where the forward motors are counter rotating it's nicely levelled.

Below is a nice video demonstrating it. (Not mine...)

Regards
B.

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

@berkly - i agree, but the original question was does it matter if the front props are CW ad CCW or CCW and CW - and it dosent :)