Programming Hobbywing Platinum 40a ESC for tmotor 4014 400kv

mmonar

I'm in the process of programming my 40a Hobbywing Platinum ESC's to power Tmotor 4014 400kv motors. What voltage output from the esc's built in bec is recommended? It can be either 5.25v or 6v to the motors.

Thanks!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
m..m..m..mmonar

the output voltage is for the built in regulator that puts voltage into the receiver via the small red wire in the three-wire servo plug. the voltage going to the motors is the full battery voltage via the three heavier wires sticking out of the end of the ESC.

ESC's have what is called a Battery Eliminator Circuit (it powers your receiver through the throttle connection and allows you to eliminate an extra battery for the receiver) in them which is a fancy way of saying a voltage regulator.....except...... with the BEC circuit the ESC is smart enough to cut power to the motor when the battery gets weak in order to continue powering the receiver and servos so you can glide to a landing. Guess what though, this is great for an airplane that has the ability to glide but bad for a multi-rotor helicopter that can't glide any better than a rock can fall straight down, except rocks can't do the flip of death so maybe the heli is a bit better in the absence of motor power than a rock.......but i digress..... :)

we don't use the BEC circuit the way it was intended but we do use the lower and regulated power supplied by the ESC so we can have power for our receivers and some other stuff.

For a modern receiver I'd use the 6V output selection.

Regards,
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

mmonar

Mr. Bart-

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed! I thought it a bit strange that the esc would cut the current to the motors so drastically. I do plan to run the esc's in NI-xx mode to avoid the whole power cut-off and brick to earth scenario. Governor will be switched off, and start mode, "normal."

I'm running the Futaba 14sg with r7008sb receiver, so will be sure to set the esc to 6V output.

Cheers,

Michael

mmonar

What timing is recommended for this setup? I have the 40a esc's with tmotor 4014 400kv and 14" 5.5 pitch carbon props. Is there a specific formula I can apply? The Hobbywing esc's offer 0°/ 3.75° / 7.5° / 11.25° / *15° / 18.75° / 22.5° / 26.25°, default is 15°.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i'm using 18.75 or 22.5 for similar Tiger motors. i believe the rule of thumb is to using the lowest setting that works while keeping in mind that the higher settings are for higher pole-count and higher RPM motors.

Bart