Professional Association of RC Aircraft Pilots - US Commercial AP Work

Hey Guys,
A couple people I know through another forum are starting to put together this organization to be able to get a foot in the door and start getting people (media, government, general public, ect) in the know about what professional AP companies are about. Please take a look at the website and if you are a commercial AP company in the US please consider joining.

http://parcap.org/

Please note that the website is still being built but things are getting updated on the site daily.

Josh

trec-r

A couple people I know through another forum are starting to put together this organization to be able to get a foot in the door and start getting people (media, government, general public, ect) in the know about what professional AP companies are about. Please take a look at the website and if you are a commercial AP company in the US please consider joining.

For any organization like this to be successful it needs to have a strong foundation. I don't see anything on the website about the leadership of the organization. Are members able to vote for the leadership or direction of the organization? Is it a legal non profit organization? By-laws? What makes it any better or different then http://www.rcapa.net/ ? Right now it looks like both rcapa and parcap might just be individuals making websites for their own profit. I know that sounds really cynical but that is because I want to see something like this done right. I have also seen a lot of fake or very questionable associations and organizations. I hope you can prove me wrong.

Richie Schut

ghaynes

Richie all good questions.

1. PARCAP is a 501(c)(6) registered with the IRS and State of Colorado as a non-profit association.
2. Officers are Andy Johnson-Laird, Gary Haynes and Shaun Stanton.
3. These are the forming officers and elections will be held as per the bylaws of the association.
4. RCAPA appears to have gone dormant. They no longer are answering emails. We tried to contact them over several weeks and got no response.
5. As a non-profit association yearly tax returns (IRS 990) will be filled and anyone, not just members, should have access to those through multiple websites that track associations and non-profits.

We started this due to the proliferation of states that were looking at enacting new laws around drone use. And the definition of a drone was basically anything that had power, remote control flight. Look up the proposed laws in Oregon, NJ, NH, MN, and the state of Washington. Unless we as a group start speaking up and if any of these laws were passed, not only could we be shut down as a hobby the proposed laws, in some cases, could criminalize a kid flying a Blade. (Don't laugh at that as that was the intent in Oregon and NJ).

Andy testified last week at the hearing in Oregon. We need members not only for support, but who would be willing to go to any hearing held in their state or cities and testify on behalf of all of us. PARCAP can help prepare them and get them written scripts and supporting documents.

Email me if you have any questions I haven't addressed.

gary.haynes@parcap.org

janoots2

This is a great start if you can gain some traction. While legislation is obviously important, I believe one of the most important arms of this or any organization will be Public Relations. We are simply getting run over by the media and have no plan in place (at least that I've seen) to counter act these stories. Today I actually viewed two positive stories on "drones" and was happy to see them...

1. We need to separate our machines from the term "drone." The media is having a field day with this term and people have a negative connotation. We need a buzz word that will stick, like "MultiHeli" or "Multicopter" (these are just examples and will use the term "MultiHeli" for the rest of this post). The challenging part will be getting EVERYONE to call our machines the chosen term including vendors. The second challenge will be getting the media to switch and continue using that term.

2. Media/Public education needs to happen. We need leads in each market to be point of contacts for local media as well. Guys who are trained with talking points to comment and educate with organizational branding. Once these POC's are in chosen, they need media kits and tools to respond to inquiries successfully. I even vision these POC's holding mini press conferences on the positive way's "MultiHelis" can be utilized. Pick a date, POC's send out a template press release produced by the org, place follow up calls for the media to attend. Press kits will contain B-roll on how our "MultiHelis" are utilized along with fact sheets. POC's fly their "MultiHelis" around for the camera, answer questions and shoot down negative connotations when brought up - boom, we just gave media outlets a unique story for the day. Quality talking points and training will be key. If all markets perform this on the same day, national coverage is a definite possibility if pitched correctly. I know some guys already do this, so there will be shoe-ins I'm sure.

3. As a community, we need to be posting and shooting down negative connotations on these mainstream "MultiHeli" stories. When the media lumps our "MultiHelis" with missile armed drones, we need to educate and respond by posting the truth and benefits of how our "MultHelis" are different and can are used for positive in the comment sections of these stories, remembering to take the high road when dealing with any rants. We all spend hours on these forums, if we all took 15 minutes to help educate daily, it WILL make a difference.

Just some immediate thoughts...

I will say, that fee is quite high for just starting the org.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghaynes

You are correct about the terminology. There was a U.S. Senate hearing last week on 'drones'. One of the folks testifying tried to get the chairman to use the phraseology that the F.A.A. is using, UAV, UAS and the like. He got admonished by the Senator, paraphrasing, 'Don't tell us what to call em'.

Consistently in legislative hearings the presenters are all talking about the misuse and connotation of 'drone' as not being accurate. It has been interesting that even those who want limitations, primarily for privacy issues, don't seem to be calling them drones.

You are right on point for item 2. So join us. You can represent western Pennsylvania and be the person we send the media or ask to represent PARCAP at a hearing.

It takes time and energy to organize. And for those that represent PARCAP at a hearing we would like to be able to reimburse mileage or other incidental costs. The only way to do that is with membership organization. Hard to compare this to an organization like AOPA with it's hundreds of thousands of members. But it is a start to do the things that you have described.

trec-r

1. PARCAP is a 501(c)(6) registered with the IRS and State of Colorado as a non-profit association.
2. Officers are Andy Johnson-Laird, Gary Haynes and Shaun Stanton.
3. These are the forming officers and elections will be held as per the bylaws of the association.
4. RCAPA appears to have gone dormant. They no longer are answering emails. We tried to contact them over several weeks and got no response.
5. As a non-profit association yearly tax returns (IRS 990) will be filled and anyone, not just members, should have access to those through multiple websites that track associations and non-profits.

1. Great
2. Would love to see bios
3. Have the bylaws been written? Before I join I would want to see the bylaws.
4. Agree 100% Would be great it we could get the two to merge.
5. Great

Look up the proposed laws in Oregon, NJ, NH, MN, and the state of Washington.

From Washington and willing to represent.

trec-r

This is a great start if you can gain some traction.

I agree 100%. My biggest concern is that this will turn into another dormant organization.

1. We need to separate our machines from the term "drone." The media is having a field day with this term and people have a negative connotation.

If you give the media the right term they will go with it. The media should be one of our biggest allies, since photography and videography go hand in hand. Our best chance on this front is to establish a working relationship with local and national media. From news to film production to bloggers.

2. Media/Public education needs to happen.

Again I agree.

3. As a community, we need to be posting and shooting down negative connotations on these mainstream "MultiHeli" stories.

We might need to find a different phrase then "shooting down" sounds a bit like we might send a "drone" to get them. :shame:

I will say, that fee is quite high for just starting the org.

110% Agree. This is what I would recommend:
Student Members $15 per year
Adult Members $65 per year
Annual Directory $110 per year
Vendors $600 per year

For the first year or two I would suggest that Student and Adult membership is free. The main reason is to build membership which will result in a larger voice for the organization and more people for the vendors to reach. I would also recommend setting up ads on the websites and charge separately from membership dues, although I would recommend that only members can place ads.

trec-r

Please take a look at the website and if you are a commercial AP company in the US please consider joining.

Please note that the website is still being built but things are getting updated on the site daily.

A couple of thoughts on a few random things. First the name. I would recommend changing the name to PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION OF RC ARIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS. I think it better states what it is all about and will be better for SEO. Logo looks great but looks like it's for bird watchers.

If you need hosting for the website please let me know. Been hosting and building websites for ten years now.

I know its a lot of work but an annual trade show would really benefit all of us. From members to vendors. It would also be a good time to vote on officers and bylaws.

We need to get on the good side of law enforcement, and emergency responders. People and politicians listen to them. I would recommend that if you can afford it get an infrared camera and volunteer for search and rescue.

We also need to get on the good side of a few unions. IATSE for film and theater is the first one that comes to mind. Unions have a lot of political clout.

Richie

janoots2

I would be happy to donate some time to organize coverage and produce PR materials/kits.

I do see some conflicts here though. Just within the past few weeks ive noticed a bunch of sites go up to be our org. RCAPA is from what ive seen the furthest along and I'm assuming the most well known even though it is far outdated and looks like nobody had managed it since 2008 which is a shame. I do see value in just waking this sleeping org and putting all these combined efforts behind that already established brand. from what ive seen and read it looks like it just needs help and support. From the sound of things lately, it looks like the support may be there to rekindle and overhaul it.

Or maybe a complete partnership/ rebranding strategy between you and them is in the cards. Just a thought so there aren't numerous orgs everywhere.

trec-r

I would be happy to donate some time to organize coverage and produce PR materials/kits.
Ditto

RCAPA is from what ive seen the furthest along and I'm assuming the most well known even though it is far outdated and looks like nobody had managed it since 2008 which is a shame. I do see value in just waking this sleeping org and putting all these combined efforts behind that already established brand.

I agree 100%. I also wonder if IRCHA or AMA might be well suited to organize this cause. However I doubt they would be as focused Perhaps it would be best to establish a partnership with them instead.

the entrepreneurs behind Hoverfly Technologies are moving forward to create a new industry association and a Flight School certification program for aerial robot operators across the nation.

I really don't like the idea of a mandatory flight school.. I guess there would be allot of money in it for Hoverfly if they did something like that though.