Pre-Flight Checklists (Flamewheel)

b0nafide

Does anyone have a checklist (or suggestions) for the maiden flight of a Flamewheel?

Example:
  1. Check props to ensure there is no cracking, cuts and confirm the nut is tight.
  2. Double check the correct prop rotation and ensure that the props match that rotation.
  3. Etc

Does anyone have a pre-flight checklist that they use or rely on?

If there isn't a list handy, perhaps we could make one here collectively then get it posted as a Sticky?

olof

Osprey
Make sure every fastener on the Flame is tight. Battery/s velcroed on tight.

I always try to have my CG right in the middle. Pick up the Multi by opposing arms and make sure it is level on all arm pairs. Battery placement is the easy way to balance, velcro is great for this.

Make sure the LED signals all OK and it is best to have 6 or more satellites. See manual for all the LED codes, I keep a cheat sheet with me and check it if I dont remember the codes. I fly both WKM and NAZA and they are different.

Take off in Atti (not GPS mode) with a bit of space around you, no trees close by.

Do a run up at 20% throttle or so (not even close to 50%, just above the 10% idle) check that moving the elevator and aileron sticks produce the correct props to spin faster, I do this before every flight. Also listen to the motors and make sure they are nice and even, no sputters.

If there is wind stand upwind not downwind, have the Flame tail in. Don't be in home lock, keep IOC off for takeoff. I would start the first time 30' away. As you get used to the flame you can be more comfortable much closer. Just be aware of wind gusts.

Dont be gentle about lift off, pop it off the ground (I dont mean 100% throttle) but don't baby it, it can drift sideways and tip over if the ground has friction.

I usually level off at 12 -20' up and get the feel for the air and the multi. Don't fly just a few inches up initially. Altitude is recovery time.

Relax have fun...

These flames are really easy to fly.

Last edited by a moderator:

glacier51

Re checklist:

Assuming you put the thing together properly and calibrated everything in Assistant, this is the checklist I use before flying.

Compass calibration is important BEFORE the first flight.

prop blades and hubs- check for cracks around hubs and blade tips, nut security
wiring security - any loose wires that could interfere with the props
motor mounts and attaching screws
arm attachments and fasteners
Camera(if installed) and mount plate
flight battery, cables and connectors for security
Before flight
flight battery charge greater than 12.0V (for 3S)
transmitter battery greater than 4.8v (DX8 w/NiCad)
GoPro or other camera fully charged
Fatshark goggles battery greater than 7.0V if FPV
Flight plan
what are you doing and where are you doing it?
choice of RTH site - clear of obstructions and larger than GPS positioning error
orientation and location of visble reference points if not flying at home and on FPV
is the weather suitable for flying your multirotor and your skill level
if FPV, line of sight obstructions to the video receiver
failsafe obstructions - how much higher than RTH site?
can I physically retrieve the multirotor if it goes down?
safety considerations - people and buildings

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the crappy formatting.

Ron

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
The list could be very lengthy but: Like most people we may compile a very complete list but in the real world, we kind of wing it. (no pun on words)
My gotta do before every flight, EVERY FLIGHT is:
1. I do check the voltage of the battery.
2. First flight of the day I do flex and examine the blades.
3. I double check the velcro connection and velcro band on the battery to insure its snug and battery is in proper place.
4. I check all my toggle switches before I initialize the startup of motors. They are always in the same position. For me its GPS on, IOC on.
5. I launch with a healthy liftoff. Pop that lil' bugger into the air to a 10' height and let it stabilize. Once everything is stable, I insure that the IOC is active and working like it should. I don't cope with the IOC suddenly being non-functional when I think it should be.
6. I fly and listen for the low battery warning. (I use one of the $6 low voltage beeping modules that plug into the balance lead - 3.7 V per cell works for me).

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Bonafide....

That is a good question.....
There must be 50 things that could possibly go wrong before most flights and 100 for first timers!!!

1Verify all that is possible to verify on the workbench/table with RC transmitter on, PC connected and NAZA assistant running.
2Doublecheck functionality of every assistant page with every RC transmitter joystick and especially the switches.
3Make sure there is no cross-functionality between one switch and the others. I had the trainer switch interfere with NAZA IOC functionality..... but resolved it on the bench just before flight!
5Don't change payload or battery size or locations after calibrating x,y,z coordinates for controller and GPS
6Tie your MR to ground with something heavy/solid then run the MR up to 20% speed and test the fail safe function by powering your transmitter off!!!!!! but be prepared to shut it down fast.....motors will go to full speed.
Make sure your fail safe switch is always off before takeoff..... mind tends to flip up when Transmitter is removed with the padded box.
7) Radio range test (if your RC transmitter provides that feature)

Once had a prop nut spin off immediately before a 2nd takeoff........

Does anyone have a checklist (or suggestions) for the maiden flight of a Flamewheel?

Example:
  1. Check props to ensure there is no cracking, cuts and confirm the nut is tight.
  2. Double check the correct prop rotation and ensure that the props match that rotation.
  3. Etc

Does anyone have a pre-flight checklist that they use or rely on?

If there isn't a list handy, perhaps we could make one here collectively then get it posted as a Sticky?

olof

Osprey
olof,

Why take off in Atti Mode and not gps mode?

If you take off in GPS mode, the auto pilot has much more input than in Atti.

What this means is if the GPS decides that you are 3' to the east of where you are supposed to be it will correct to the west.

Taking off its the most dangerous time in any aircraft. You are close to the ground and have very little maneuverability basically just up to get out of trouble. A sudden drift will flip your MR if it touches the ground.

So by taking off in Atti you eliminate any GPS inputs and you are in charge of throttle and lateral moves. Also the GPS signal is at its worst right on the ground. So I take off ready to tilt into the wind and climb pretty fast to a comfortable altitude.

Taking off in control you anticipate the wind, you basically can estimate how it will drift on takeoff, and be ready to correct. A heavier rig will start to drift slower but be harder to stop and a light rig will drift fast and be quick to correct.

Once you are up 10-20' it is a good time to go to GPS mode. I also find that after flying for a couple minutes the GPS gets much more stable. It is in the beginning of the flight that the GPS is more flaky, at least with my 3 DJI rigs.

I also always land in Atti, for the same reasons, you can be smoother, because it is mostly you.

I am an instrument GA pilot and I always take off with autopilot off and the landing is also always with the auto pilot off. Especially on instrument takeoffs and landings. Once up and stabilized in a controlled climb I switch to the auto pilot. So maybe that has influenced my thinking but it seems logical in both cases. Flying full scale in low visibility you just can't afford a mistake it is your life and others as well on the line, but these MR's are expensive to repair as well.