powerline interference reader/meter?

kkat

Hey guys,

I know flight controllers can be interfered with data lines or power lines. Can someone specify which causes interference. If so, where and what kind of meter do i purchase to know if i am in a safe zone or not?

Thanks-

Electro 2

Hey guys,

I know flight controllers can be interfered with data lines or power lines. Can someone specify which causes interference.

Takes a bunch to kill/warp the compass in your FC, just don't fly within 50 ft or so, of HT lines, and you'll be fine. No fancy instrumentation required. You're far more likely to have an on-board issue with motor/ESC currents and a poorly laid out install, than any external mag field sources. On a small frame it's tough to get the high-current, mag-field-causing, wiring away from the FC's compass. Distance is a big factor here, E.G. don't wear a wrist watch when doing compass cals.

Glenn Goodlett

I've never had a power or transmission line cause any interference. I only fly very close range when working near high voltage stuff though.

Your vehicle am radio will give you an idea of how noisy lines can be. Beyond that a spectrum analyzer tuned to your target frequency would give you a good picture.

violetwolf

Another option is to use a TX/RX system with RSSI (Reciever Signal Strength Indicator) such as the Taranis. RSSI will give you a readout on your TX as to how strong your signal is at the RX. I've seen mine decrease significantly when near high tension lines or industrial antennae.