PowerLab 8 - Getting the most from it

I have been playing around with the PowerLab 8 over the last few days and cant get it to go above 10A. I am running 4S 5000mAh packs capable of 5C and have created a custom fuel table for them. My power supply is 13.8v 28A.

I am charging the packs in parallel (2 at a time)......can anyone put me out of my misery?

robvree

I have been playing around with the PowerLab 8 over the last few days and cant get it to go above 10A. I am running 4S 5000mAh packs capable of 5C and have created a custom fuel table for them. My power supply is 13.8v 28A.

I am charging the packs in parallel (2 at a time)......can anyone put me out of my misery?

What is the max watts of your power supply?
What did you set in the DC Power Supply setting of the PL8 for amp limit?

robvree

It is 13.8v 28A, so 386.4 watt.

Set to 13.5v and 28A in the PL8.

OK, that's powerful enough, you should easily be able to hit 20amps during charging. To do this you need to use preset #3, set it to 2P, charge rate 10amp per pack (20amp total). You must use banana jacks as well as have the balance plugs connected to the parallel safe adapters.

When you start charging the amps will not just jump to 20, it will take some time for the charger to ramp up to that level and then it will ramp down towards the end.

You might be able to charge a single pack at 5C (25 amps) but I like to stay on the safe side and not push my power supply beyond 80% of its limits. You won't be able to charge both packs in parallel at 5C as that would require 50 amps.