Power Distribution Board question/concern

Mudge

Greetings,

I have a 100 amp PDB with 2x22.2 4000mah batteries. I was connecting them via Deans plug to the MR and it began to spark. This was due to the Deans plug which I have replaced. After I plugged it in, the Wookong operated correctly and the lights came on. I then proceeded to plug in the other battery, this time using pliers in case it sparked. In doing so, my hand slipped and, I think, grounded the cuircit. I then saw smoke and smelled disaster.

I called the manufacturer and sent it back. They plugged it in and, "for some reasone we had to plug in both batteries to get it to work, but it checks out fine." They sent me a new PDB too.

My question is where did the smoke come from and why does it take two batteries to work now? Should I install an new board? Can I trust this board?

Thanks for the help

olof

Osprey
Did you short the board or the battery?

If you shorted at the battery leads then the board should be fine but the battery might be toast, this could be why you need 2 Lipos now.

If you shorted on the board or from battery lead to somewhere on the board, the controller is probably toast.

I would not use Deans on 6 cel Lipos. Try XT60's, much more robust and harder to short at the leads.

I trust you are putting the batteries in parallel, not series. If this is the case then make a y and connect the batteries to the Y first then connect the Y to the board.

Mudge

I saw the smoke come from the board but the sparks came the plug. With one battery plugged in, the Wookong beeps once every few second and has no lights. After the second battery gets plugged in the lights come on and the wookong works. It is side specific. One side, lights and wookong on, other side, just a beep and no lights. I hope this is clear.
I plugged it in to the computer and it checks out ok. I have also powered it up and bench tested the system. I just want to be extra careful and get all the info I can. I can check both batteries before and after a flight and see what i get.