Post Production Softare? What do you use?

+1 they also have a great camera ready for release at interesting price

You are correct that it is offered at an ... "interesting price" ... for the body only. Supply your own lens.

Still, the packaged list of features makes it an interesting option for those that already own EF/ZE mount lenses.

Thanks for your feedback hjls3. I guess I need a tutorial on how to post vimeo videos to the forum. All I see is the link while other posts have the image embedded into the post. I'll read up and see if I can improve.

Have a play with DaVinci Resolve Lite as well - its free :) and very powerful - quite a lot to get your head around but you can get great results. Awesome color correction and it also has built in software stabilisation.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/davinciresolve/ - free download link at the bottom

All of the Blackmagic stuff is great.:tennis:

Thanks jackwrangham and DennyR - I downloaded and installed the "davinci resolve - lite" last night but there is a .dll file missing when I try to launch the program so I'll have to re-install it this weekend when I can pay more attention to the extract process.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
for video editing I started with Final Cut Pro even though I was told by the community to use Apple's iMovie to start out. But why learn one when I'll just have to learn another later on?

I've recently switched to Adobe Premier as the built in (via Adobe After Effects) video stabilizing is way better than what FCP has. Sooner or later, if you're doing video from a multi-rotor, you're going to need to stabilize a shot or an entire video (we all have those days, admit it!) and it's super easy to do it in Premier as you edit the rest of the video.

Work flows are pretty similar with any of the different packages.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
any questions you have as you go can usually be answered inside of ten minutes via a youtube video tutorial (free!). there must be thousands of free tutorial videos posted on youtube just on video editing alone (ironic, i know).

bart

I'm a film producer, also worked a lot in post production as editor or visual effects consultant and for the last 8 years i did this for a living. There are two different approach to editing. You go as a pro or you go amateur depending on the quality needed.

For amateurs light stuff you may use any free or cheap editing software including Apple iMovie or Final Cut Pro X, Edius, Sony Vegas.

For pro work you will need:
Editing: Avid or Apple FCS3 (or Autodesk Smoke if you need something that makes everithing in one very pricey box)
Color grading: Apple Color or Black Magic Davinci Resolve

For camera stabilization there are a few plugins that work nice with Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro X or you use serious solution integrated in Nuke, Fusion or Shake.

Some of the software i mentioned works only on Macs, some works only in PC, some works on both. But i will suggest Macs if you want peace of mind, with Parallels if you need PC stuff.

I will gladly answer to any other questions you might have regarding post-production.

Last edited by a moderator:

No problem rdalemercer, I had the same issue with missing .dll, worked fine after I restarted the computer (got to love windows lol)

Thanks jackwrangham.
I rebooted and all it loaded. I still get a message about CUDA, but I'll wade through the website to see what I need to do to get it moving.

Hey Bartman - always good to get your input. Thanks.

I may also try FCP as I don't have an Apple and would rather spend money on an upgrade to the Multi-rotor vs a new computer platform that has a single purpose. I've got too much invested in the Windows world to switch.

It's also good to know that I can get tutorials on YouTube (yes, it is ironic) when I have questions.

DennyR

For you guys out there who are struggling with getting your footage stabilized this may be useful and very inexpensive.
The following video was shot with nothing more than a GoPro taped to the airframe View attachment 4762
A small piece of 1/8 lead 2x3ins. lead was sandwiched between the camera and the frame with double sided adhesive tape.
The GoPro is not my favorite camera but it's cheap enough so lets go with it. Start by downloading GoPro Cineform and then uploading your rushes. Make sure that you select the exact In and Out points of the parts that you will use. Keep em short. This will help when you come to analyze the clips in Smoothcam. Next download Stream clip and make a set of files in Apple ProRes 422.
I used an old version of FCP 6.06 and created the movie on location over a couple of beers on a pre Intel macbook pro. After you have your master pieces loaded into a new project you can simply run effects/smoothcam and the analysis will start. Once completed you will need to render the clip. At this stage you can use the sliders to provide the exact amount of stab. that you need.
One of the advantages of having a fixed camera is that it can produce a better viewpoint allowing the subject matter to move in and out of frame naturally.
A word of caution for those hell bent on having the latest and greatest 3 axis whatever. For the untrained photographer with aspirations of becoming a really great aerial cameraman the three axis camera mount with a zoom lens is probably a good recipe for creating every filming mistake known to man.

Attachments

• GoPro mounted on F1.jpg
    GoPro mounted on F1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 312

DennyR

Only the Ugly ones....
Come 11 pm and they don't care or know what they are doing.

DennyR

For you guys out there who are struggling with getting your footage stabilized this may be useful and very inexpensive.
The following video was shot with nothing more than a GoPro taped to the airframe View attachment 6440
A small piece of 1/8 lead 2x3ins. lead was sandwiched between the camera and the frame with double sided adhesive tape.
The GoPro is not my favorite camera but it's cheap enough so lets go with it. Start by downloading GoPro Cineform and then uploading your rushes. Make sure that you select the exact In and Out points of the parts that you will use. Keep em short. This will help when you come to analyze the clips in Smoothcam. Next download Stream clip and make a set of files in Apple ProRes 422.
I used an old version of FCP 6.06 and created the movie on location over a couple of beers on a pre Intel macbook pro. After you have your masterpieces loaded into a new project you can simply run effects/smoothcam and the analysis will start. Once completed you will need to render the clip. At this stage you can use the sliders to provide the exact amount of stab. that you need.
One of the advantages of having a fixed camera is that it can produce a better viewpoint allowing the subject matter to move in and out of frame naturally.
A word of caution for those hell bent on having the latest and greatest 3 axis whatever. For the untrained photographer with aspirations of becoming a really great aerial cameraman the three axis camera mount with a zoom lens is probably a good recipe for creating every filming mistake known to man.

I forgot to say, The image quality between the GoPro and my Canaon 550D is like chalk and cheese. The 550D is used on a flame wheel hexa and is used mostly for portrait stills. I'll post some footage when I can get around to changing the camera angle for video. I use a 50 mm unstabilized lens but may try the new 40mm. I tend to shoot all panos. with the camera in portrait and then stitch the image in PS. FWIW:tennis: Sorry to all you guys selling camera mounts but in reality how many people really need it. If you want to take your post stabilization further try Shake, After Effects or if you are really wealthy get BuJu.

Davidhippo

Just to mention if any of you are going down the After Effects route, there are some cracking tutorials on video copilot.

All a bit advanced for a lot of peoples needs perhaps but the basic training tutorials are a great way to get started with a brilliant bit of effects software.

jappie911

Hi,
I am going to try maybe some different option, but untill now I am using Magix videodeluxe.
It has mercalli stabilizer, but did not use it enough to know exactly.

But what kind of movements can do the better stabilizers get rid of?

Also when I have some small horizon movements for example?
(I have them with my skyline gyro in neutral position)

Or only real vibrations?

jappie911

Edit/ ps.;

I understand It can not solve a non straight horizon, but I mean some small servo jitter on horizon/roll.. !