Please help - Flip on Lift Off!!

sweder

Hi Team!

I am new to hobby and in the middle of building a new quadcoptor. Here are the specifications.

DJI F450 Frame
HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller
ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 30C
RTFHawk (PixHawk clone)
SunnySky X2212 KV980 II Brushless Motor
FRSKY TARANIS
X8R Transmitter
2 Pair 8X4.5 Real Carbon Fiber Propeller Prop CW/CCW 8045 Quad

I've built the quadcoptor, updated the FC's firmware, calibrated ESCs, etc but still have the following problem..

When I increase the throttle, the quad does not lift off. When I increase to 50% or more, it flips! What am I doing wrong? I made sure that the props are on the right motors (1 = CCW, 2= CCW, 3=CW, 4=CW.) I've connected the motors in the proper order on the FC.

Here's a video of the flip --> http://youtu.be/w-IZzzKu4Xs

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Mount the battery properly might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarLog

Same thing mine did, found I had two props reversed, and the ESC, was connected to the wrong 2 motors,

took me about 2 hours to troubleshoot this

sweder

Same thing mine did, found I had two props reversed, and the ESC, was connected to the wrong 2 motors,

took me about 2 hours to troubleshoot this

The ESCs are strapped to the same arm as the motor. Hopefully I didn't make that mistake!

hjls3

try going into the grass, strapping lipo in and give it more throttle - you need to be fairly aggressive with throttle on take off...

sweder

try going into the grass, strapping lipo in and give it more throttle - you need to be fairly aggressive with throttle on take off...

Thanks for the suggestion. I mounted the battery and took it out to the grass. I gave it throttle quickly and it completely flipped. No air!

dazzab

This type of thing is almost always a problem with the wrong prop order, the motors not connected to the flight controller in the right sequence or the motors not spinning in the correct direction.

Rook33

Rook
Is this the direction the motors are spinning? Hard to tell on video.

Left Front in CCW

Right Front in CW

Left Rear in CW
Right Rear in CCW

cootertwo

Wowzers, that's yet another different motor layout. Front right for 1 and rear left for 2, and so on. Don't feel bad sweder, I just spent 3 days setting up a 250 quad, and I have a bag of broke props, and a few cuts on my arms to prove it. BUT, she's flying fine today! Sometimes disconnecting all the motors from the controller, and attaching one at a time, to be sure which is which, can help. Also, that looks like some expensive props on there. Might want to put a set of cheepee plastics on there until you get it ironed out. And be careful, when things aren't right, they are unpredictable. I think if someone had the time/money and connections, to mass produce, a nicely designed, easy to use "TEST" stand for multirotors, would sell like hotcakes.

sweder

I don't think that this is the right hobby for me... :(

I put on a new set of ESCs and a new motor because the one burned out. Here is a video of my latest flip on take off. Please help! I feel like a complete failure! I think that the props are spinning in the right direction for the PixHawk on this frame type.

Do you think that the battery is too heavy? Its a 5000 4s.

http://youtu.be/MNlIWikmEhQ

Rook33

Rook
Is white the front? It is hard to tell which way each motor is spinning and which way the prop is facing, but I think it is one or the other, not you taking off. On my F450 Front right is CCW, Front left is CW. Left rear is CCW and Right rear is CW.

sweder

The red is the front. And yes, Rook, my props should be spinning in that order. For calibration...

I increase throttle to 100%, connect battery to pixhawk, observe flashing lights on FC, disconnect battery, reconnect battery, listen to loud squacking noises on pixhawk, push the arming button until it is solid, decrease throttle to 0, escs beeps a couple of times. That's the calibration method I've been using.

Appreciate the help.