Please critique my F450 build...any gotchas before I start ordering final parts?

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Hi Everyone!

Well I am finalizing the list and have narrowed down the choices. I have much of the odds and ends but still need the props, motor, ESC. Here is my setup with some questions on some things at the end. I would certainly appreciate it if you could take a peek and see if there is anything I am missing thus far. Recommendations are ALWAYS appreciated!!! Attached is my eCalc picture to help.

1. DJI F450 Frames
2. KK2.1 flight controller
3. Will be using most likely a Lemon RX (gotta give this thing a try!!!)
4. MOTORS -----> Looking at the A. Sunnysky V2216-11 900KV II
B. Sunnysky V2216-12 800KV II
5. Props ------> something in the 10x5 range....suggestions appreciated
6. ESCs will be 30A but will either be preflashed with SimonK/bladeheli OR I will do it myself.
7. Batteries I am still going back and forth but for now looking at a 4S 5000mAh one

Goals will be to eventually carry a GoPro and some FPV gear.
I am looking to fly stable and not do acrobatics...would like to get good video of scenery in the mountains where I spend time.

Pretty simple....please poke holes in this and offer suggestions as I THINK I have this sorted out just want another few sets of eyes...:nevreness:

Thanks for all the suggestions in advance!

Cheers,

Mike :)

View attachment 15436

Attachments

• Sunny.jpg
    Sunny.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 220

sledge57

Hi Mike, I have a question for you about your motors.

Where did you find the Sunnysky V2216-11 900KV II at?

I have the same motors on order and have been waiting some time on mine to get here.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Not heard much good about the lemons recently.

I would be going for a smaller capacity lighter battery, something like a Zippy Compact 3700mH 4S would be a good start.

Look at some Graupner 9x5 E-Props if you get the 900kv's.

Pete

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Hi Mike, I have a question for you about your motors.

Where did you find the Sunnysky V2216-11 900KV II at?

I have the same motors on order and have been waiting some time on mine to get here.

Doug,

I have yet to place the order but will be doing so in the morning! I found them on BuddyRC website and they have them in stock too!

Not heard much good about the lemons recently.

I would be going for a smaller capacity lighter battery, something like a Zippy Compact 3700mH 4S would be a good start.

Look at some Graupner 9x5 E-Props if you get the 900kv's.

Pete

Pete,

They seem to have a really good following with lots of good things to say about them (aside from a few "lemons") but no issues with them failing in flight...mostly some issues of problems when first received.

Why do you like the smaller capacity/lighter one? Is it because you can add more payload? I suppose it is always a "quest" of sorts to find the "Sweet Spot" of where mAh and weight get the "perfect" combination. I just keep plugging in numbers and see how they come out in eCalc to be honest. I am really leaning towards the 800kv motors as I am not planning on doing any acro stuff...just simply flying around with a camera.

Props are my research for tomorrow as well as trying to figure out the ESC "flashing ability"....I have seen some threads on RCgroups where the chips have changed and some of the newer ones may not be able to SimonK flashed on them. I may be mistaken but will have to check into it some more tomorrow or later tonight! We have snow coming tomorrow so I wont be doing much of anything else.

Don't forget prop shaft reducers or adapters depending on configuration. Graupner E-Props have an 8mm shaft hole. Graupners are very good props, I've been testing APC Multi-Rotor props on my 550. They give good performance with rigidity somewhere between stock DJI props and CF. They're also reasonably priced compared to other CF props like T-Motor.

For batteries, retailers like BuddyRC and ReadyMadeRC have a good selection that can be shipped quickly to US addresses.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Good suggestion! That is something for tomorrow when the snow is flying! I have heard good things about Graupners and APC props.

Hurri, do you have a place that you like to purchase your props from? I am going to pick up a TopFlite balancer this weekend as well. I was debating this and the Dubro but have made a decision on the Topflite.

I like BuddyRC very much. Gary (who I spoke with on the phone) is a genuinely NICE individual who took the time to talk to me while he was at home (holidays)....the number you call is his cell and he is a Stand Up guy. I still need to pick up my charger and am going to get the iCharger 308Duo. I want to buy once and cry once...LOL. The screen sold me on it with its information. As this addiction takes off I know I would be kicking myself for not getting one at the get go.

Yup, the iCharger is the way to go, because farther down the RC addiction you'll want to be able to test internal resistance of your batteries. I'd still recommend the DuBro balancer. The top flite balancer has so-so build quality and personally I've had mixed results with that unit.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Don't forget prop shaft reducers or adapters depending on configuration. Graupner E-Props have an 8mm shaft hole. Graupners are very good props, I've been testing APC Multi-Rotor props on my 550. They give good performance with rigidity somewhere between stock DJI props and CF. They're also reasonably priced compared to other CF props like T-Motor.

For batteries, retailers like BuddyRC and ReadyMadeRC have a good selection that can be shipped quickly to US addresses.

Only the10x5 have 8mm hub, the 9 and 8 have a 5 mm stepped hub.

sledge57

Thanks Mike, the reason I asked was because mine hadn't shown yet and even though I had a tracking number I wasn't able to track them so I was getting leery. I don't have much experience ordering from Hong Kong or China, I knew things take 3 - 4 weeks but never being able to see tracking info after 3 weeks began to bother me.

No need to worry it turns out my motors came today via registered mail, so I guess I can put "Banggood" on my list of company's safe to deal with.

For the record the motors were $23.99 ea and shipped free.

Going to look at Buddy RC site too, can never have too many sources.

I bought APC multi rotor props (10x4.5) btw, ordered from Tower Hobbies and paid about $2.96 per prop when shipping was added.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
nice to see you're moving along Mike. don't get too hung up on the ESC's, Turnigy Plush work great as do the hobby wing.

what's the story behind the username?

COMike93yj

Still Building!
@Doug....glad to hear that your stuff arrived! I have looked at Banggood's site but for the life of me I could never bring myself to purchase from them with such a name...good to hear that they are someone that is an actual company! I might get some things from them in the future as they have really good prices but not stuff that I need in a fast manner. I am looking at some props from RCtimer and APC. Graupners people love em but I cant bring myself to get them at the price! I WILL BE breaking some I realize! I am going to end up using the SunnySky 2216's in the 900Kv speed as well. Been running eCalcs all day and have found a good happy medium.

@Bart...thanks Bart! The turnigy plush ones were out of stock (the ones I was looking for) but they may be back in stock now I have to check. The username stems from: CO ----> Colorado; Mike ----> my Name; 93yj ----> a passion of mine is 4 wheeling and I own a 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ (YJ is the code for this model in this year). Put em all together and you get the name :)

sledge57

So what did you decide on prop size with the 900kv Sunnyskys with all your e-calc time?

I'm thinking I should have ordered 10x5.5 instead of 10x4.5 Maybe I'll use the 4.5's with the stock Dji motors, as I plan to fly it a bit with them so I can see what the difference really is between motors.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Doug,

I am looking at HQProp's.....I have been trying to figure out the diff between the Slow fly and Thin Electric ones and how they would show up in eCalc.

What I did find was with the 10x5 and the APC Electric E and 10x5 seem to be the best. I was told on another forum that the 3S-4000mAh batts are kind of a sweet spot for our F450 frames. So I used that (still very confused on eCalcs versions on batts when I change C Levels)....and my test was run at 45/60C 3S-4000mAh batts.

With the 10x5's I got a mixed flight time of 8.1 min with 14.3 for hover. The thing that was nice was I found the additional payload was 317g.

Swapping to 10x4.7 I got 8.3min mixed/14.3 hover with only 279g additional payload.

Hope that helps!

sledge57

One more thing to screw up your calculations :nevreness: APC makes 3 different model props that work for these.

There's the Slo Fly, Thin Electric and now they make a MR (multi rotor) series prop also.

From what I read they are sort of in between the other 2 as far as stiffness is concerned. The Slo Flys I guess aren't really intended for the rpms a MR might spin them and the Thin E's are more suited for even higher rpms, at least that's the general gist of things from what I've read. The MR's have a thicker hub than the Slo Flys and it sounds like a lot of times when a prop just breaks it's at the hub.

Anyway I ordered 5 10x4.5mr and 5 10x4.5mrp (p for pusher), you get a price break on ordering 5 and a couple extra can't hurt...

Here's a link to some of the info I found.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1886222

Last edited by a moderator: