Planning first build

Ursinos

I'm looking to start piecing out my first build soon, starting with at most a micro.

I'm trying to find a good flight controller and motor setup that won't require the additional expense of ESCs (if that's possible). Also trying to keep it low priced for my first build.

Any recommendations would be very appreciated.

Ursinos

All brushless motors require ESC's. basically all FC's and multirotors are designed with ESC's in mind. CC3D was the hot FC for a while but it seems that the Naze32 is very popular now. A mini is a good first build, they are inexpensive to build. Keep in mind that most of the small FC's are open hardware/open source projects so you use their GUI and firmware. So you can search around and see which ones offer good support. I did a build with a CC3D a while back and though the FC can be complicated I was able to get it up and running just fine although it was not even remotely dialed in and tuned for racing. There are a bunch of good FC's out there, I'm not familiar with them all. One of our members here made a parts list of everything to to get a mini quad up and running including the radio for less than $300.

Ursinos

All brushless motors require ESC's. basically all FC's and multirotors are designed with ESC's in mind. CC3D was the hot FC for a while but it seems that the Naze32 is very popular now. A mini is a good first build, they are inexpensive to build. Keep in mind that most of the small FC's are open hardware/open source projects so you use their GUI and firmware. So you can search around and see which ones offer good support. I did a build with a CC3D a while back and though the FC can be complicated I was able to get it up and running just fine although it was not even remotely dialed in and tuned for racing. There are a bunch of good FC's out there, I'm not familiar with them all. One of our members here made a parts list of everything to to get a mini quad up and running including the radio for less than $300.

I was under the impression from my reading so far that some FC's have integrated ESCs. So far, the seem to be made exclusively for running the type of brushed motors seen on nano drones. This is what I was originally contemplating starting with, but it seems there aren't many options for those kinds of FC boards.

Ugg, I don't want to think about having to save up for a radio. it sounds like that'll be one of the most expensive purchases.

Hoki

There are some motors with built in ESCs but they cost more so I don't think you'd save any money that way. You should be able to get some a 4 pack of ESCs for like 12 dollars if you order from aliexpress or banggood and 4 motors for like 25 dollars. For the flight controller I'd get the skyline32 mini cause it's so small and has a compass for headless mode.

Hoki

search on aliexpress and banggood for 12a esc and you'll find the ones that come in a 4 pack for 11 dollars with free shipping. I actually used them before and they work good but ended up starting them on fire cause I tried to solder the motors directly to them and those ESCs aren't ideal for that kinda stuff so I recommend don't try that. Just put some 2mm connectors on them and plug the motors in and then you can just ziptie or put a shrink tube over it so it's out of the way. you'll need 2mm male and female bullet connectors to put on escs and motors. I'd get 2 packs, they lost like 2 dollars each

Hoki

If you want even smaller ESCs you can search for tarot escs, they make some real small ones.

Ursinos

search on aliexpress and banggood for 12a esc and you'll find the ones that come in a 4 pack for 11 dollars with free shipping. I actually used them before and they work good but ended up starting them on fire cause I tried to solder the motors directly to them and those ESCs aren't ideal for that kinda stuff so I recommend don't try that. Just put some 2mm connectors on them and plug the motors in and then you can just ziptie or put a shrink tube over it so it's out of the way. you'll need 2mm male and female bullet connectors to put on escs and motors. I'd get 2 packs, they lost like 2 dollars each
what size motors am I looking at for those ESCs?