Placement video transmitter on frame

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Newbie question,

what are your experiences on placing the video transmitter on the copter frame ? What is the best placement landing gear, boom, Camera mount, whip antenna or a different solution. Are you guys using standard cables between the camera and the Transmitter or screened video cables ?

Greeting from the lederhosen.

Macsgrafs

Screened cables are a must with all those electronics. Keep the video TX as far away from the electronics as possible.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
whats your experience with antenna tracking, has anyone of you ever tried antenna tracking in combination with the MK Portable tool and a pan/tilt solution.

http://ddfpv.de/projects/mft/ sorry the page is in german

this tool can readout the same data like the MK tool on a PC, but you can also directly connect two servos to it. Communication between the copter and the mk portable tool is over xbee. Which seems to me as a clean solution considering that a second GPS module becomes obsolete, which is normally necessary for an OSS+GPS solution talking to the ground station over downlink.

I am wondering if it is possible to let the copter xbee talk to two xbees one on a pc and one on the MK portable tool. Should be possible with the Zigbee standard and a Coordinator - router - router or end device config ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
or maybe even clear direct readout from the MK tool from the PC to a antenna tracking system. Why the extra expenses for a OSD+GPS system if the MK Boards already provide the data need for the servos of a tracking solution.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
While we're talking about Tx antenna placement I thought I'd ask for the site's review of my own installation. I'm not having a great wireless video experience. By my second flight I'm losing reception and figure maybe the Tx is overheating? Maybe there's interference coming from the electronics?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The Tx is a mondo stinger 5.8 ghz (500 mw) I picked up second hand last year and it's powered by a dedicated 3S lipo. It's amazing to me how little power the Tx and Rx use. The Rx is an Iftron Yellow Jacket that I bought in desperation when I couldn't get my ImmRC to work (partly my fault).
Thanks,
Bart

Attachments

• P1010331.jpg
    P1010331.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 187
  • P1010332.jpg
    P1010332.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 180

Crash

Defies Psychics
While we're talking about Tx antenna placement I thought I'd ask for the site's review of my own installation.
Bart

One of these days I'm going to collect all of those stock dipole antennas I own and burn them.

Does that answer the question? :)

Bartman

yup, i replaced one of the receiver dipoles with a patch and it's much better. your next comment will be to get the four banger (looks like the three will work also) that Alex sells? How do you mount that on a multi? I'm not looking for range, just a high quality solid connection.
thanks,
bart

jappie911

While we're talking about Tx antenna placement I thought I'd ask for the site's review of my own installation. I'm not having a great wireless video experience. By my second flight I'm losing reception and figure maybe the Tx is overheating? Maybe there's interference coming from the electronics?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The Tx is a mondo stinger 5.8 ghz (500 mw) I picked up second hand last year and it's powered by a dedicated 3S lipo. It's amazing to me how little power the Tx and Rx use. The Rx is an Iftron Yellow Jacket

hmm... I am on the waiting list for a Stinger 500mw TX and Passport, which is almost the same set.. I think this is as good as you can get at the moment, but results are not that great ?

I know it has a lot to do with setup and antenna's, but I am hoping it will improve a lot coming from a 200mw BEV rc set... which has a lot of blank screens when turning a few degree's...

Updated the BEV set with iftron gooseneck Patch and Iftron Vitenna, which I am now going to use on the Stinger and Passport...

By my second flight I'm losing reception and figure maybe the Tx is overheating?

I ordered the newer Stinger 500mw with Cooling fan on it.. probaly I made a good choise about that then...

Bartman

I ordered the newer Stinger 500mw with Cooling fan on it.. probaly I made a good choise about that then...

I would think the cooling fan is a good idea. I'm happy with the quality of my Iftron gear but I'm still having issues. It may be that my Tx is overheating or it may be that my goggles are not up for the amount of useage they're getting. I'm going to put my Stinger Pro on my Okto and see if my problems are from the Mondo Stinger. If so I'll send it back to Iftron for a check-up and maybe see about how I could add a cooling fan to it.
I added a single patch antenna to the Yellow Jacket and it works much better now. The two bi-poles look nice but they don't work very well.
Regards,
Bart

Emowillcox

HI Bart
Is that some aluminum holding your transmitter on wonder if that would have any impact on the signal strength?
Also wonder if anyone can suggest a good video transmitter to hook up with a go pro. I am thinking about trying to do some FPV using the gopro. Would love to hear from anyone already doing this to help steer me in the right direction. I am using a 2.4 transmitter to fly.

Bartman

Mike,
Using the GoPro is a piece of cake. If you're doing something similar to what I do which is short range aerial photo and video, 200 to 250 mw of transmitter power is plenty and it's easy to get the signal from the GoPro into the Tx and down to the ground. What's your budget?
Bart