Pixhawk px4 vs Dji Wookong for Aerial photography

Tercerojo

They can say using pixhawk px4 with gps module for photography and videos on a large hexa to be lifted around 6 kg ? Vs, the Naza V2 or Wookong with gps? I understand that pixhawk px4 is less expensive and includes more features such as waypoints dji not if you do not pay separately. It would be reliable for this purpose ? , Do you think?

Old Man

Easiest way to answer that is to send you to the 3D Robotics website to look at their latest upcoming release, the X-8M. Might also check a couple of new videos 3DR has posted on YouTube about the same subject.

Pixhawk can do almost anything asked of it but you have to know how to ask. Takes a bit of work but those doing the work get the rewards.

haha49

They can say using pixhawk px4 with gps module for photography and videos on a large hexa to be lifted around 6 kg ? Vs, the Naza V2 or Wookong with gps? I understand that pixhawk px4 is less expensive and includes more features such as waypoints dji not if you do not pay separately. It would be reliable for this purpose ? , Do you think?

DJI all the way Pixhawk is a huge pain in the rear to setup. I gave up on mine and replaced it with a V2 DJI naza with mini osd for on screen display so much better the waypoint stuff for dji sucks not reliable at all so I don't recomend it. Fly it your self with gps and be able to take it out of gps mode if it takes off and you should be fine with it. Also program a fail safe switch so if you lose control or aren't sure just flip the switch and wait.

DennyR

I would say that 3.2 is a big improvement over previous versions of code. And the APM mission planner2 is awesome. My DJI stuff is the go to for easy results but for more challenging stuff like mapping and way points APM 3.2 is way ahead now. It also seems reliable. But if you want to get out there and go fly the easy way then DJI is the right solution for you.

jdennings

I would say that 3.2 is a big improvement over previous versions of code. And the APM mission planner2 is awesome. My DJI stuff is the go to for easy results but for more challenging stuff like mapping and way points APM 3.2 is way ahead now. It also seems reliable. But if you want to get out there and go fly the easy way then DJI is the right solution for you.

+1. DJI for instant and easy flying, but more expensive. Lightbridge is also a big plus not available on a Pixhawk platform, if HD retransmission is a requirement for you.
Pixhawk for advanced applications (if any), and configurability.

cootertwo

I had been researching autonomous flight for quite awhile, and the prices scared me away, not to mention all the tweaking, calibrating, bad reviews, etc. etc. So I just got an IRIS+. Comes with a Flysky radio with a custom program, all setup, test flown, ready to go, so to speak. I could have bought all the bits and pieces, and mounted it all on one of my other quads, but this was easier, and less hair pulling. My only experience so far, is with Naza Lite, Naze, and KK2. This Pixhawk has far more capabilities and reliability than DJI, in my opinion. And from what I've read, far, far better customer support.

Mactadpole

I haven't ever flown DJI but I would tell you Pixhawk all the way. I have flown several other FC's in the past. It is very reliable in my opinion. See what I am doing with it Ecuador here: http://www.multirotorforums.com/thr...er-ecuador’s-pacific-equatorial-forest.23343/. I am working on other projects where the machine is constantly flying over water and I no longer worry about it.

If you put a little time into tweaking the PID's after an autotune it is a super smooth flyer too. Yes, you have to put time into it upfront to learn all the possible capabilities and do some test flights. Once you get comfortable with it you'll be happy its the route you went.

dazzab

I wouldn't jump in with a 6kg multi rotor if I were you. Start smaller and spend some time with it. During that time the answers to your questions will probably become a bit more clear to you. The choice of flight controller is full of variables and often times comes down to personal choice and what specific uses you have in mind for your rig. At the moment I'm flying Pixhawk, DJI Wookong and XAircraft SuperX. I like them all for different reasons and have them on three different copters that I use for different purposes.

Mactadpole

Great recommendation dazzab! If you are not experienced with multirotors then definitely get something small! I still enjoy flying my ladybird around the halls!