Pixhawk Feedback?

Old Man

No apology required. I can't speak Spanish or Portuguese and writing either would be impossible. I tend to agree with you. Too many electrical connections being used for sUAS flight operations are things that should have remained inside laptops and tower mother boards. They are too fragile and they do not handle exposure to the elements well.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Is there a better option for multiple light weight connections in a tight space?
2, 3, 4, and 6 wire connections?

They don't break in flight, they only seem to break when we fat fingered types try to muscle them.
And you have the option of shaving the locking tabs down for the connections that you use frequently.

dazzab

Is there a better option for multiple light weight connections in a tight space?
2, 3, 4, and 6 wire connections?

They don't break in flight, they only seem to break when we fat fingered types try to muscle them.
And you have the option of shaving the locking tabs down for the connections that you use frequently.

All you have to do is release the clip before removing them. Pulling on the wires will result in the wire connectors pulling out of the plug. Either release them properly or just shave the clip off like a lot of people do. After that you won't have any issues with them. I do agree that another type of connector would be better but one thing is for sure, those cables are _never_ going to come off in flight.

PhillNZ

He tangata ki tahi
My experience with the Pixhawk.

I used to fly RC about 15 yrs ago and that is the limit of my experience with this modern technology

Living on a small rural block and looking for something that would provide a challenge I became interested in both the flying aspect (I have always had a love of flying) but also the technical side of the mulitcopter.

I did much reading on the net but little asking of questions preferring to read information and opinion and then quantify this information.

I made the decision to purchase the pixhawk as my first flight controller based on its history - the open source software, and the enthusiasm that surrounds the developers, 3DR’s operation and being USA manufactured. Along with the extensive online wikipages.

This gave me a flight controller that eliminated one area of possible failure in my venture, I could pretty much guarantee that if the scratch build tarot650 failed it would not be caused by the flight controller.

I am still very much in the learning stages have begun to ask a few questions and have been amused at some of the replies, including being told that until one flies a multicopter in acro mode without any of the inbuilt assistance you are not flying. I wonder what all those that chose the phantom, or Iris would say to that, having said this I am now learning to fly directionally in stabilise with the intention of reaching the revered status as suggested, because I want to.

With the Pixhawk I firstly read and attempted to understand the myriad of inbuilt fail safe commands, set her up with stabilise, alt hold, and loiter (set to super simple as a recovery mode) with RTL as the ultimate failsafe for me.

I look forward to undertaking a planning mission and fixing to it the GoPro, half my pleasure comes from the learning required to extract the pixhawk’s real capabilities.

Living in New Zealand I’m a long way from any supply of parts and early on decided I wished to also build a hexacopter, having selected the frame a tarot690s I’ve started to purchase the parts.

I thought long and hard about the FC but in the end came back to the pixhawk again and have just ordered my second one. So from a position at the bottom of the rung of knowledge about this technology, I can not pass comment about other FC’s nor really about the pixhawk I guess, except that whilst not plug & play, I have been able to take completely new technology, read about it, put that into practise and successfully get it airborne and have some fun. The learning goes on and will do for some while.

I’m greatly impressed with all that surrounds the Pixhawk, I followed the debate between two of the learned members here of their experiences with the pixhawk and bigger frames and its use for commercial purposes with interest, along with the comments of others and their experiences. Perhaps one day I to might wish to build something somewhat larger, at which stage I would then have to decide whether I purchase a “closed” FC system that has been developed, tested, and even certified for use, at a price that reflects such, or undertake all of the testing and experimentation myself, with an innovative product which from my perspective has a very interesting development history. Reminds me of how I was once forced to buy a whole CD just to be able to listen to a single tune, rather than today being able to just buy that one tune.

I salute those especially in the software development team, along with 3DR for developing such an innovative product in such and open and transparent way.

Murocflyer

Promoting Model Aviation
Yep :)
('m sure RL will correct me if wrong ...)

If you're talking hardware releases, you want 2.4
Software: Latest available in mission planner.

My experience:
1 DR Pixhawk, 2 RTFHawk Clones.

No issues whatsoever, working right out of the box.
Have heard of issues with both vendors.

Main difference with 3DR vs clones: df13 connectors vs micro-molex.
RTFhawk case not as slick as 3DR/FixHawk.

Support:
- 3DR : Issues, but dedicated site plus if you're a potential vendor I bet they'd listen.
- RTFHawk: None from vendor, decent on that other forum.
- Fixhawk.: None from vendor, decent on that other forum, x'ept thread starter is ok with electronics but no expert yet thinks he is. Noob with advanced multitrotors. US RCTimer reseller knows way less than you do but advertises opposite whenever and will fight forever to prove so. Pathetic flame wars.

I'd recommend 3DR unless a couple hours of your time is worth less than $50-$100 savings .

There you have one!

LOL!

Awesome info. Thanks for sharing that