PID setting general questions

I will be using a Naza v2 and have general questions about PID / gain settings.

1. Doing my initial research on PID and I thought they were 3 distinct parameters and therefore would have 3 different settings. 1 for Proportial, 1 for Integral, and 1 for Differential. But it seems like in the videos I've seen they are combined into 1 per given stick movement. ie 1 for rudder, 1 for aileron, etc. Which is a little confusing because how do you know which parameter you're changing?

2. In the gain settings in the Naza assisstant there is adjustment for Basic and Attitude. I initially thought basic was manual mode and attitude was attitude mode. But this doesn't seem to be the case. Is Basic the overall gain, how the copter would fly if just hovering. And Attitude the aggressiveness of the stick control?

3. Why can you only change pitch and roll in attitude gain.

4. Alot of videos have the pitch and roll set to the same number. Is this how it's supposed to be done?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Now all flight control systems provide direct control of PID values in the tuning process. The Hoverfly PRO board had one parameter that was adjusted via a knob on your radio. Mikrokopter provides the ability to tune PID's but you seldom have to do it. I believe NAZA doesn't tune via PID's but via "gain" adjustments that make response levels more or less sensitive (although it's been a while since I've been in the NAZA assistant so I may be wrong). OpenPilot boards continue to use PID's as do other boards but be sure what you're doing is adjusting PID's or the responses you get won't correspond with the changes that you are making.

James , originally of the OpenPilot project and now on his own as Tau Labs and here at MultiRotorForums.com as @peabody124 did what is probably still the best video on PID tuning that I've ever seen. It's four years old now but the content still applies as PID tuning for control algorithms is much older than multi-rotor helicopters are. @DanM might also be able to answer questions for you as he's well educated and very experienced tuning control systems via PID.

Hope it helps.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
not sure why the OP crown would set the video so that it can't be embedded at other sites but then again I think I can figure it out :(

click the link and the video will play in a new tab/window but at its original location