Photohigher's Gracious Gimbal Giveaway!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Well, for the shot I want to use it is just so much easier to have someone else take it vs. setting up a tripod with timer or intervalometer. And in the end there's not a whole lot of difference in my opinion between a camera on a tripod firing a pic every 5 seconds and someone standing in the same spot snapping away.

my 2¢
Shawn

perfectly legit opinion Sir Shawn

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
I kinda agree with what Shawn said being the end result to be the same but I prefer to take via tripod. However, some might say that the effort is not the same but who can disprove one or the other :dejection: I think now I understand the whole debate last contest. I think in future there might be a need for prof/amateur category but that will be a big subject of discussion. Ok enough on the future contest. I think I will lean towards pilot that made the extra effort to take an aerial photo from the multi and still capture both of them be it reflection or shadow. I know its hard but that makes it worth a vote. just an opinion please dont shoot me down :black_eyed:

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Bart, here's another question for you. I know you said no post Photoshopping, but what if the effect was captured by the camera, ie using different settings, exposures etc?

Thanks,

Gunter.

Bartman

Bart, here's another question for you. I know you said no post Photoshopping, but what if the effect was captured by the camera, ie using different settings, exposures etc?

Thanks,

Gunter.

Gunter,
That's perfectly legitimate. I'm only trying to avoid entries that are so-so pics with over the top digital enhancement.
Bart

Bartman

I kinda agree with what Shawn said being the end result to be the same but I prefer to take via tripod. However, some might say that the effort is not the same but who can disprove one or the other :dejection: I think now I understand the whole debate last contest. I think in future there might be a need for prof/amateur category but that will be a big subject of discussion. Ok enough on the future contest. I think I will lean towards pilot that made the extra effort to take an aerial photo from the multi and still capture both of them be it reflection or shadow. I know its hard but that makes it worth a vote. just an opinion please dont shoot me down :black_eyed:

for a bit of perspective, here's a link to the thread where we discussed ideas for this contest.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?1745-1st-Contest-For-2012....let-s-get-started

I"m inclined to say that the photo must be taken by the pilot with the first preference being from the helicopter. This, naturally leaves the helicopter to be a reflection or shadow but that is what we originally discussed. How you present yourself in the shot is up to you. Who knows, the best photos may become iconic multi-rotor images.

As far as the last contest goes, since it's been mentioned, if anyone doesn't like the loose nature of things then they shouldn't enter. This is supposed to be fun and if anyone's competitive nature makes them inclined to protest what they see as inadequacies then they should satisfy their competitive urges elsewhere and the rest of us will be on our jolly way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

for a bit of perspective, here's a link to the thread where we discussed ideas for this contest.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?1745-1st-Contest-For-2012....let-s-get-started

I"m inclined to say that the photo must be taken by the pilot with the first preference being from the helicopter. This, naturally leaves the helicopter to be a reflection or shadow but that is what we originally discussed. How you present yourself in the shot is up to you. Who knows, the best photos may become iconic multi-rotor images.

As far as the last contest goes, since it's been mentioned, if anyone doesn't like the loose nature of things then they shouldn't enter. This is supposed to be fun and if anyone's competitive nature makes them inclined to protest what they see as inadequacies then they should satisfy their competitive urges elsewhere and the rest of us will be on our jolly way.

I think that to be fair to everyone the objective of the contest should be ironed out beforehand so that there is no room for ambiguous interpretation. No matter how tight you make it, there will still be a lot of room for the subjective interpretation. At this stage it seems like anything goes, so It would be great if we nailed down the limitations of where the camera should be i.e. on the model or remote by a third person or otherwise. Should the model be in the picture or can it be a shadow or reflection. Should the operator be in the picture. Perhaps also a theme which could be that which best describes "Practical uses of Multirotor craft" The quintessential image that represents what MR is all about.
Having got a set of requirements laid down then the Judging criteria can also be set i.e. the most important part being X followed by Y and so on.

As the vast majority of forum members are engaged in making high end models with expensive camera mounts etc. it follows that a definite intention is there to create some form of commercial enterprise. So why try to differentiate between pro and not pro when the intention is obviously there to a greater or lesser extent. The person lucky enough to win will surely want to put the device to some form of typical commercial use that it was designed to do. Photohigher might also like that idea.

My 2 cents worth.

Bartman

It is always my intent to emphasize the fact that this is a multi-rotor site and not an aerial photography/video site but, in this case, the contest sponsor is a well known and respected manufacturer of camera gimbals. So, with that in mind, we've steered ourselves towards a contest that centers on a still image of a pilot and his/her craft. To clarify the requirements;

The photo shall be taken from a multi-rotor helicopter. The photo can either be taken from the air or with the heli on the ground but either way a shadow or reflection of the heli must be in the picture.

The photo must also have the pilot in the picture. It can be a straight on shot or a sillouette but it must be the pilot in the picture and the pilot must be responsible for the photo.

As to a theme or intention of the photo, I'll leave it to the creativity of the photographer.

I'm also going to pass on trying to define judging criteria. In the last contest we might not have had the very well done BBQ chicken video if I had been too rigid in the contest requirements.

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to your entries.

Bart

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
It is always my intent to emphasize the fact that this is a multi-rotor site and not an aerial photography/video site but, in this case, the contest sponsor is a well known and respected manufacturer of camera gimbals. So, with that in mind, we've steered ourselves towards a contest that centers on a still image of a pilot and his/her craft. To clarify the requirements;

The photo shall be taken from a multi-rotor helicopter. The photo can either be taken from the air or with the heli on the ground but either way a shadow or reflection of the heli must be in the picture.

The photo must also have the pilot in the picture. It can be a straight on shot or a sillouette but it must be the pilot in the picture and the pilot must be responsible for the photo.

As to a theme or intention of the photo, I'll leave it to the creativity of the photographer.

I'm also going to pass on trying to define judging criteria. In the last contest we might not have had the very well done BBQ chicken video if I had been too rigid in the contest requirements.

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to your entries.

Bart

Bart, you're confusing me! You say the photo must now be taken from the multirotor, but in your original post you say:

Rule #2. Your entry should have both you and a multi-rotor helicopter in the photo. Whether you show shadows, reflections, faces, in-flight, grounded, crashed, etc. is up to you but everything in the photo needs to be there the moment the shutter is released.

So if we can take a photo of the heli in flight or ground, we can't possibly take it from the multirotor?

Also, in this part of the world, the sun is very low at the moment. To try and get myself and the heli's shadow in the same frame, while trying to fly is near impossible! Can we have a little think about this one again?

Cheers,

Gunter.

Bartman

Gunter,
The original post wasn't consistent with the discussion we originally had where we said we'd have a photo of the pilot with a shadow or reflection of the craft in the shot. Long shadows are still shadows and can be incorporated with a little creative ingenuity. maybe put the shadow directly in front of you so it's at your feet looking like a sundial or something. :dejection::dejection:

Leaving this without clarification in the first post made it more of a photography contest with a multi-rotor theme instead of a challenge for all y'all and your multi's. The heli is the real master in the relationship so maybe you should ask the heli what it wants to do for once??? :)

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
The heli is the real master in the relationship so maybe you should ask the heli what it wants to do for once??? :)

I did ask it, and it told me it wanted to be photographed by a friend...clear as day I tell you :)

Never mind, I shall have to go and find my thinking cap again!

Gunter.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
heres an idea

if the photo has got to be taken from the multi itself

then just hang it on some string or stick it on a pole set up a spotlight behind to cast a shadow

then position yourself so you get yourself and shadow in shot and click away

if you got a large window or patio door you could catch shadow and reflection togeather

double points

keith

juz

FPV pilot
I have a couple of ideas. great stuff Bart :tennis:..I fear that you'll be over hosting contests soon...LOL

Reading the first post definitely makes me think of being photographed flying by another photographer, but to be honest, I like the idea of having to do it all alone. Just me, my multi and camera. The wheels are turning. No complaints here. Like always, this is motivating to get out and do some creative flying.

matwelli

For me that's what it should be about, photography from your multi - this time with the twist of needing the pilot and multi in the shot :)

plingboot

what if i get one multirotor in the air, gps hold it, then fire up another with a camera and fpv gear get that in the air, frame the pic with the fpv goggles, shoot the pic of me and gos hold quad from fpv quad, land fpv quad, remove goggles, find other radio, which i may or may not have either kicked into a bush or trodden on while wearing the fpv goggles, take control (ha) of gps hold quad, land it and upload photo.

that should work pretty well don't you think?

Efliernz

Pete
A couple of us have considered "trusting" out multis to stay on the spot while we fly another machine too. I don't have a gps system so I guess I need to wait for a really still day ;)

I don't think I'll trust my old DX7 though. It made one of my CC quads fly away 2 weeks ago... 300 yards later (over a retirement village) it dropped out the sky! It appears a rather used and original AR7000 died in flight... not good!

Pete

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
heres another idea

take ya camera and remote shutter device off ya multi sit it on a ( post ,wall, stack of books ,table etc) frame the shot

take up the position put ya multi on ya head and snap the shot

hey presto HAT TRICK

sorry just couldnt resist thowing that one out there

keith