Phantom drifting all over...help!!

foca793

hey guys,

well i am new in this world but I've done a lot of research about these things and i finally bought one a couple days ago. So i got a dii phantom 1.1.1 and i took it outta the box and set it all up. i upgraded the firmware to the newest firmware also before i even flew it. i downloaded the naza assistant software for mac that just came out a couple days ago. actually the same day i got this thing. but anyway onto my problem. the first time i flew it the gps mode worked great. it didn't drift at all. the second time i flew it it started to drift a little not bad at all. but today i re calibrated my TX and i tried to advance re calibrate my phantom through the naza assistant and the program just quit. so i reopened it and it quit again. i did this serval times and then it finally stays open and its still in the process of advance calibration and it said it finished a few minutes later. now when i fly it its all over the place in GPS mode. it will drift up down left right. it just won't hover in one spot. anyone have any ideas on what to try? i also calibrated the compass multiply times and it passes every time. i have no idea what to try. should i put the old firmware back on? any help would be great
thanks guys

chipwich

foca793, when you say all over the place, exactly how far is it moving in each direction, and if you let it sit for a while will it stabilize? Are you waiting for all green lights in GPS mode before launch?

PS: welcome to the forum

foca793

Thanks man. And it varies it will go up 10 ft or down 10ft. Sometimes it's worse. It will go to the left or right. and if I leave it sit it just keeps drifting and I wait for all the green lights mode for GPS. Every time I fly it it always has 6 or more satilites.

darwin-t

Did you enable IOC in the Assistant program? When you calibrated the compass, were any large metal objects nearby, anything that might interfere with the compass? You are flying in GPS mode, right? Did you wait until you got nothing but green lights before you launched it? Did you let it hover for a little while before you flew away?

The reason IOC is important is it enables the switch on the left to use Course Lock (center position) or Home Lock (bottom position). Home lock makes it much easier to fly, pulling the right stick back toward you brings your copter toward you regardless of which way it is pointing, as long as the switch on the right is also set to GPS (top position), it is at least 30 feet away from the home position and you have a GPS lock.

If the right switch is set to ATT, the copter doesn't use GPS to navigate. You can also set the right switch to activate RTH (Return To Home) in the bottom position.Oh, be sure to set RTH to return to the home position and land, using the Assistant program.

Also, it is a good idea to remove the propellers when hooking your copter up to the computer. It is possible that it may try to take off, go to 60 feet and return to whatever home position it has in it. IT happened to a guy when the battery connection in his controller turned off the controller. The guy almost lost the tip of his thumb.