Phantom 3

econfly

It seems it has the same camera as the inspire (in a different package), the same flight controller, the same app, and the same Lightbridge HD downlink. The difference is the craft itself (the Inspire is faster, bigger, with retracts), the gimbal (the Inspire has a second operator option with yaw control), and the radio (the Inspire has HDMI on the radio while the P3 just has the USB out to a phone/tablet).

Just on first impressions I would say the P3 is the winner for the price for anyone who doesn't need a separate camera operator, ground monitor (in addition to a tablet for the flight app), or the increased speed/power of the Inspire. Those who need the added functionality the Inspire offers are, of course, better off with it.

Finally, the Inspire does have that detachable camera/gimbal feature. As of now it's pointless because there is only one camera/gimbal option available. In theory DJI could offer up others. A night vision option would be extremely cool. A nicer sensor/lens setup would be great too. But until DJI actually comes through with additional options this is irrelevant.

Pumpkinguy

The inspire definitely has some cool features and performance attributes but I can't see it being a good seller going forward. Not for 2-3 times the price of the p3. If I purchased the inspire, I'm pissed of right now. Lol

I've never owned a phantom but this looks like a nice camera upgrade from my f550 gopro 3+ setup.

Anyone know if you can add expo to the phantom? I find it a must for smooth pans. I have 2 different levels of yaw expo programmed into my dx8 and one or the other works great depending on the shot. But without it, the starts and stops of the pan are just too abrupt. Anybody know the answer?

dazzab

I've never owned a phantom but this looks like a nice camera upgrade from my f550 gopro 3+ setup.

Anyone know if you can add expo to the phantom? I find it a must for smooth pans. I have 2 different levels of yaw expo programmed into my dx8 and one or the other works great depending on the shot. But without it, the starts and stops of the pan are just too abrupt. Anybody know the answer?
The answer is to use a three axis gimbal with 'Follow Me' enabled.

Yeah, that's what my h3-3d does. However, it will only absorb so much before it just starts panning with the copter. To smooth out and slow down the camera pan, I have to slow down the copter pan. The answer I guess would be to lower the attitude gain of yaw, but it seems that option isn't there on phantom? Forgive me, my 550 has a WKM so I don't speak naza very well. I'm watching a YouTube video about installing resistors on the actual yaw pot in the transmitter that knocks it down to 25% speed. I'm not too keen on voiding my warranty right off. Any other ideas?

cootertwo

Looks like the manufacturers are aiming at "fly out of the box" stuff, instead of building your own from parts. The problem I see in that is when they go with components that are specifically designed for that particular machine, and will not fit anything else. Like batteries, props, cameras, etc. etc. I'm guilty of owning 2 Iris+ machines, but to me, it was either buy a Pixhawk, with all the accessories, (telemetry radios, sensors etc. $350/$400) or buy a whole multirotor for $750. And I like supporting a company that isn't under communist control. Remember when they USED to be the enemy? There have been a whole lot of lives lost, fighting the "communist incursion" But as Nakita said many, many years ago, they would take over the USA, without firing a single shot. Sorry off track, I know................:mad: