Phantom 2 Vision+ work with PC Ground Station ???

The Bruce

I can't tell if the new Phantom 2 Vision+ will work with PC or iPad Ground Station?

DJI website doesn't seem to clarify this.

:upset:

I agree, I have just spent a day trying to get a handshake out of the MC. Oh, and where and how does the supplied hardware fit in the Phantom? have just emailed DJI - if things work out i will post here.

KBO

Tahoe Ed

I agree, I have just spent a day trying to get a handshake out of the MC. Oh, and where and how does the supplied hardware fit in the Phantom? have just emailed DJI - if things work out i will post here.

KBO

The Data Link connects to the Can Bus. The P2V+ does not have an external Can Bus connector. You will find this on the P2. I am also not sure if the Vision firmware will support the Data Link. You also have to consider that the Data Link works on 2.4gHz so you will mess with your wifi Tx. No video, no telemetry. I guess that 16 waypoints is insufficient for you?

The Bruce

The Data Link connects to the Can Bus. The P2V+ does not have an external Can Bus connector. You will find this on the P2. I am also not sure if the Vision firmware will support the Data Link. You also have to consider that the Data Link works on 2.4gHz so you will mess with your wifi Tx. No video, no telemetry. I guess that 16 waypoints is insufficient for you?

It is not so much the number of waypoints as the screen size. Also, I do not and do not intend to own an iPad or smartphone - but I do own a laptop.

From my reading the 2.4GHz connected to the laptop should replace the normal controller with a joystick/keyboard combo.

My interest lies primarily in automatic flight and the PC version seems to offer the capability I want.

My thinking for this morning is to switch off the internal wifi of the laptop as I agree that co-existence issues may affect performance. DJI have assured me that the P2V+ will support the data link. I am also wondering whether (despite DJI assurances) to substitute the current internal data link with the data link supplied.

KBO

The Bruce

Good luck on this. Let us know how it goes.

I will. Switching off the laptop wifi did not work either. Hmm, a network called GSVPN has just appeared on my list but needs login details (not supplied). Guess another email to DJI is in order.

Anyway,

Here is what I think should happen:

Laptop GS shakes hands with MC (to get details for network)

MC is switched off (now surplus to requirement?)

GS shakes hands with P2V+

Program GS with mission and upload

Control through joystick for manual, mission file for auto

Display GS, instrument and video on laptop screen

Here's hoping I am right (c'mon DJI)

KBO

PS checked the thing out on a pal's iPhone the P2V+ is working normally but you would not want to use the GS app for control - far too small for my tired old eyes

paulywog

I have the Ground Station on my Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D, IOSD mini and AVL-58 video downlink. Everything works very well together. You do need a can bus port for your GS. The GS does not work on a iphone (You can't even install GS on a iphone). You must have at least a ipad 2 or newer to be able to use ground station or a PC. You can use the ground station with a pc as well but as someone mentioned, you should turn off wifi on your computer (and turn wifi off on the gopro). The most important thing I can tell you is upgrade all firmwares with the assistant softwares, and note that is plural. For my setup as shown you need 3 different assistant software to keep 11 firmware upgraded. And the other important thing is calibrate every time you are at a different location.

The Bruce

I can't tell if the new Phantom 2 Vision+ will work with PC or iPad Ground Station?

DJI website doesn't seem to clarify this.

:upset:

Having discussed this (at length) with DJI the answer is no - and you are right, the website is unclear. However, there is a hack (sub-optimal, I know) using an existing port on the main board and a custom cable (http://skypixel.org/post/83155210814). I am making up a cable and will post my results here.

As to why DJI have not released, or announced plans to release, a PC ground station for P2V+ remains a mystery at present - maybe they have shares in iPad. Windows web clients still outnumber Apple web clients by 3 to 1. I have asked the question and will pass the response on in this forum.

KBO

rolivier

Having discussed this (at length) with DJI the answer is no - and you are right, the website is unclear. However, there is a hack (sub-optimal, I know) using an existing port on the main board and a custom cable (http://skypixel.org/post/83155210814). I am making up a cable and will post my results here.

As to why DJI have not released, or announced plans to release, a PC ground station for P2V+ remains a mystery at present - maybe they have shares in iPad. Windows web clients still outnumber Apple web clients by 3 to 1. I have asked the question and will pass the response on in this forum.

KBO

Any update on this? I am about to undertake the custom-cable option. Did you have any success? Any words of wisdom?

Thank you.