Phantom 2 Vision vs GoPro3+ camera

dpatti

Does anyone care to share their opinion on which camera is better for both aerial and close up video? Trying to determine if there is a big enough difference to sway me to one or the other. Not to mention I want as stable a shot as possible. I know some of that can be edited to smooth it even further, but the smoother the original shot the better.

Thanks in advance.

Right off the bat I would tell you that, based on threads on this forum, the Hero3 is better for aerial video than the Hero3+. As to how it compares to the Vision, I'd have to check the specs. Does it supports high frame rates? Does it support 2.7K or 4K video?

Well, I was able to quickly answer those questions,,, No, and no.
So if you think you'd use either of those features, then you'd have to go Hero3 Black edition.
I know for *me*, both of those are a must, or at least, very, very desirable.

dpatti

Pro, thanks for your thoughts. Ideally I would want to have very high quality video for both aerial and then even indoor use, like more close-up like 5-20ft. At first, the Vision was very appealing because it had the FPV on the phone. Not sure if I could rig the original Phantom with something like that while I had the GoPro Hero3 Black hooked to it. I am going to be new to this, but everyone keeps saying its not too hard to learn and the FPV sure seems like a good way to expedite the learning curve.

dpatti

Having the original Phantom with the GoPro Hero3Black would allow me to use the GoPro for other purposes as well, which is appealing too.

It also allows you to move the GoPro to any new/bigger rig you might build.
FYI, the GoPro Hero3 has WiFi built in, though it does lag about 2 seconds. I flew for the first 2-3 weeks that way, just using my phone to see what the Hero3 was filming.
And yes, with the Naza (which is the flight computer used on the Phantom), you will learn quickly how to fly. To be proficient at controlling it to get certain shots you may want will take a significant amount of flying, but that will all come with time.
Have fun!

Tahoe Ed

Pro, thanks for your thoughts. Ideally I would want to have very high quality video for both aerial and then even indoor use, like more close-up like 5-20ft. At first, the Vision was very appealing because it had the FPV on the phone. Not sure if I could rig the original Phantom with something like that while I had the GoPro Hero3 Black hooked to it. I am going to be new to this, but everyone keeps saying its not too hard to learn and the FPV sure seems like a good way to expedite the learning curve.

The GP3H will give you more options for use outside the copter. The Vision will get you flying and taking video rather than building a trying to figure out configurations. If you want to use the GP3H, I would get a F450 with Naza 2, iOSD mini, H3-2D gimbal, video downlink, and monitor for the ground station. Flying FPV is not as easy as it seems and can lead to expensive crashes.

dpatti

Thanks Pro & Tahoe.

Tahoe - Is the camera on the Vision as good as going with the GP3H build option you described? High quality, stable video is my key concern. I know you can do a lot about the stabilization through editing software, so I guess it comes down to ease of flying and high quality....

I keep finding myself going back and forth...sheesh.

Tahoe Ed

The Vision only has stabilization for tilt not for roll. The H3-2D has both. The quality of video out on the gimbal is better with the H3-2D. If you have some good post editing tools the Vision will give you what you need. Check this video from Aerial Media Pros:

Last edited by a moderator:

dpatti

The GP3H will give you more options for use outside the copter. The Vision will get you flying and taking video rather than building a trying to figure out configurations. If you want to use the GP3H, I would get a F450 with Naza 2, iOSD mini, H3-2D gimbal, video downlink, and monitor for the ground station. Flying FPV is not as easy as it seems and can lead to expensive crashes.

I am putting all of your items into a checkout cart via one of the dealers and this build is much more expensive to start out haha.

dpatti

The Vision only has stabilization for tilt not for roll. The H3-2D has both. The quality of video out on the gimbal is better with the H3-2D. If you have some good post editing tools the Vision will give you what you need. Check this video from Aerial Media Pros:

When you say Tilt not for roll, does roll mean shifting it left to right. etc? I assume Tilt is the camera going up and down.

Yep, we've all been in that "what I want costs more than I can afford" place.
Consider maybe a phased approach.
For example, get just the F450, TxRx, and the GoPro, and mount the GoPro in a fixed position, and use the WiFi capability. This would get you off the ground and practicing and would buy you a little time.
Then add the video downlink so that you can fly outside the WiFi limited range.
Then add the gimbal so that your video is smooth.

But I do agree with Tahoe Ed on the recommended configuration for basic video capture, and great starting point for years to come in the Aerial Photography/Video world.

I think what he means is that in the roll axis the camera won't stay level. So as the Phantom rolls left/right, the video will do so as well.
The H3-2D will keep the GoPro level which is what you really typically want for good professional looking video capture. And, yes, tilt means you as the pilot can point the camera up or down as needed for the shot.

DennyR

My tests show that the 9x5 E-flight props improve the yaw stab. which is quite good anyway with the standard props. With Cineform you can remove the fish eye if you remember to check the box in the preferences before converting. FCP-X does the rest. Done correctly it takes some beating. I have one Phantom with a 3 axis gimbal and one with a H3-2D and the difference is quite noticeable in the raw state but after post not much difference. The 60 and 72 deg lenses are also a big improvement. The 220 grams difference in weight between the gimbals does however make a difference of about 25% in duration. FWIW...

dpatti

Man, I really appreciate the info, opinions, thoughts, feedback etc. All of this is great to know.

It wasnt a HUGE difference in price, I just had yet to add in extra batteries and chargers and props, prop guards, etc to the order and it was like $50 under the whole get-up I created with the Vision and all of that included.

I def want the Gimbal if I went the GoPro route though. The FPV could wait, as could the Video Downlink.

How far can you fly within the limited wifi range?

Man, I really appreciate the info, opinions, thoughts, feedback etc. All of this is great to know.

It wasnt a HUGE difference in price, I just had yet to add in extra batteries and chargers and props, prop guards, etc to the order and it was like $50 under the whole get-up I created with the Vision and all of that included.

I def want the Gimbal if I went the GoPro route though. The FPV could wait, as could the Video Downlink.

How far can you fly within the limited wifi range?

If I remember from my initial testing, it was about 60-80 ft.

My recommendation for gimbal last was more along the lines of how I would see a person training for AP. Obviously you will want the gimbal by the time you do any "real" video work. The WiFi is not really an option for "real" video work. My thinking was the following:
- phase 1, your going to just learn to fly the MR (no camera equipment needed for this, in fact, recommended non so that you don't break expensive stuff during this phase of crashing more than you wish)
- phase 2, your going to expand your flying skills to account for smooth camera motion and coordinated control of all axis to do motion while framing shots (camera on fixed mount is good enough with WiFi video feed whlie staying close to the MR)
- phase 3, you expand your flying range perfecting your flying skill and camera motion (camera on fixed mount but using a video transmitter so you can fly out across fields and around buildings)
- phase 4, you add gimbal to smooth out the video product and gain tilt control for improved shot framing and varying altitudes and positions.

dpatti

Gotcha. That does sound like the smart thing to do. Progress through the functions of the MR and learn how it operates etc.

I have a lot to go over. But boy is it exciting.