Phantom 2 rises quickly after initial takeoff

Largeboreiv

I own a large Hex and an original Phantom, never experienced anything like this. Purchased a Phantom 2 with the 3D gimbal. Test flights today without gimbal attached were perfect. When I attached the gimbal and after initial takeoff, craft suddenly rose to around 50 ft without input from me. Landing was sketchy and hard to control as well...seemed like it could not control its altitude. Did not seem to matter if I was in GPS ATTI mode of ATTI mode. IOC settings were off. No wifi interference either; had GoPro attached to gimbal but I never enable wifi. Yaw, forward, backward worked great. Seemed like it would just randomly gain or lose altitude by several feet quickly, but the initial takeoff is what scared me the most. Thought I was about to experience my first flyaway. Do I need to recalibrate the GPS after attaching the gimbal? If so, thats an easy fix, but I wanted to check here first. I'm a little leery about flying this rig again with the gimbal attached until I hear from some of you guys.

Largeboreiv

READ THIS! DSLR Pros Phantom 2 Kit Problem Solved!

Background: Plenty of experience. I currently own a large heavy-lift Hex and an original Phantom 1. Ordered the new 'Sundance Edition Phantom 2 Kit' from DSLR Pros and it arrived 2 days ago. Flew it successfully several times without the gimbal and GoPro installed to work out any bugs that might arise. Feeling confident that everything was set up properly I then installed the gimbal and GoPro, and installed the carbon fiber props. Previously I had been using the stock DJI props. Once I had the carbon fiber props installed, the control was terrible. It was so bad, in fact, I had convinced myself that there was a GPS calibration issue. Upon takeoff, the Phantom would literally BURST into the air until around an altitude of 60 to 70 feet, then it would start a slow but steady descent while moving forward. I experienced several low altitude (no more than 2-3 feet) controlled crashes. I recalibrated the GPS several times with the gimbal installed with no change in flight characteristics. I was taking off in ATTI mode. It did not matter if I was in GPS ATTI mode or ATTI mode. IOC was OFF. The flight characteristics were the same. I thought about, thought about it some more, then put back on the stock DJI props. The Phantom 2 once again flew flawlessly.

So, to sum it up, if you are purchasing a Phantom 'kit' from any retailer, make sure you are using the props that the retailer used when they set up the craft. The stock gains from DSLR Pros are as follows:

BASIC Pitch Roll Yaw Vertical
125% 125% 125% 140%

ALTITUDE Pitch Roll
260% 260%

With these gains, and the stock props, the craft flies just like my original Phantom. That is to say FLAWLESS. Very responsive and a pure pleasure to fly. The carbon fiber props, given the above gains and the stiffness/rigidness of the props, make flying the craft entirely too unmanageable and unpredictable.

Here is a link to the kit I purchased: http://www.dslrpros.com/brands/sundance-aerial-kit.html

I hope this helps someone!