PC or Mac?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Aye Yup Dave ! Come on now. Don't bottle it up. Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :)

BTW ... you forgot to mention Picloc !!:dejection:

Jem

I worked on PCs for 15 years doing graphics, animation and video editing and knew then inside out, had to in order to keep them running. I decided to try a MAC in 2007 when they went Intel and within a few months had completely moved over to them. They just work, you don't have know all the total geek stuff and I'm sure I save an hour a day just not looking at blue screens. Having said that I did eventually get a PC laptop when I got into Multirotors. I just found parallels and bootcamp a bit of a pain although I do curse it when ever I use it. So for video editing an motion graphics I now use a MAC PRO totally pimped up with SSDs loads of RAM and a CUDA graphics card. It's fast, solid and I won't have to change it for years..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
been using PC's since 1986 so it's been harder than it should be to adapt to MAC. I guess I expected the thing to have hot tea and toast waiting for me in the morning given all the hype from the Apple fanboys. It's ok, it just isn't computing nirvana like I expected it to be.

Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It does get hyped as being more than it really is. But when I really appreciate the mac is when I go back to a pc. THEN I realize why the mac is so nice and clean. I bought my mom a macbook pro and she is having a hard time adapting. I told her you dont have to learn the mac, you have to un-train yourself. Where she was used to looking in windows explorer, my computer, the start menu, the dock- all in finder on a mac. All those annoying pop ups that try to sneak themselves in with flash updates, not there-EVER. all those annoying pop ups at the bottom right telling you your anti-virus is out of date or a driver needs to be installed or the drive is ready to be unplugged, not there. Expose is awesome, get used to that and then try navigating a PC. it feels primitive. The feel of the mac is just clean with the exception of apps that use a right mouse button. Apple hates the right mouse button as it is an association with windows. But out of necessity a lot of apps originally made for the pc use it. And I will say the mouse acceleration on the pc is superior to that of the mac. You need to buy an external app to make the mouse have the same speed/precision. I always feel the mouse gets close to a button then stops or I have to click elsewhere and then click back to make it respond. But its about the only annoyance. I guess it is really preference in the end.

These are my true feelings towards a laptop I had recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

I might start taking interest in a hackintosh. The mac pro better have a new release that is competitive with the precision or I'm building my own.

Built my first hackintosh around four years ago. It's a stand-alone music server running Amarra, the thing has been on and connected since I built it. It has never crashed or required much in the way of maintenance. Set up a pc based music server running IRiver software for a friend(die hard pc guy), and we have had to wipe the drive and do a clean install twice in a year and a half. Unfortunately the large disparity in numbers of users means many developers don't feel porting to Osx is worth their time. I use a cad application to design loudspeaker enclosures, no Mac version. so I still have to run windows.:upset: So adapting to the Mac can be a pita, but I have never regretted that decision.

Cheers,
Shawn

I was a hard core PC user for years and now I'm all Mac. The great thing due to the fact sometimes I need to run Windows I can easily boot with boot camp in to windows. Runs like a charm.

So ya the Mac in not to cheap but you can run all OS that is out there (more or less) and you have a stable platform to us daly and then windows to play with when nessicery. What is great with osx is that it works out of the box. Quick to re install if needed. If I reinstall OSX compared to windows I can probably install osx on three machines compared to windows 1 time. So there is a big different if something hapens.

What I usually do is when I have a fresh system set up with all the basic softwares on it that I need I make a clone on the HD and if something hapens I can eather boot from it or just over write the existing partition with it and I'm up and running in no time.

dazzab

My very high end Windows PC set up for video editing died about a month ago. There was no question in my mind that if I wanted to get serious with my photography and video editing it was Mac or nothing. As it turns out, it was a great investment. With a Mac you get a high end Apple machine and the ability to run Windows machines and Linux almost seamlessly. I can't believe it. I bought an iMac 27 and a 13" laptop with retina display. They are light years ahead of any PC I ever owned.

Guess how I earned the money to afford all this nice gear? Yep, repairing Windows machines. Says it all really.

ChrisViperM

So where did it all start:

I would not dare to tell Bart what to buy or what is best....but just what I think about it. Although it's always discussed "together", ther are two main aspects: Hardware and Software/Operating System.
Hardware: If you do serious/professional work like video editing, than we talk about a Mac Pro (on the Apple side) Just checked the Apple web-page and the Quad Core is listed at $ 2.499 and the 12-Core is listed at $ 3.799. For not so serious work/prosumer level, if you look at the 27-inch / 3.2 GhZ iMac they are asking $ 1.999. For that money you get what Apple thinks is best for you...your choices in hardware are very limited and servicing/repairing can become a nightmare....ask me how I know.

If you invest the same money in PC hardware - assuming you know a bit about hardware and choose your components for what you need yourself - you just get a more powerfull machine. If the hardware in your Mac is outdated, you are very limited to upgrade for better hardware, in the PC world you just plug the old part out and slam the new one in.
The funny thing in the Mac vs. Windows discussion is that people tend to spend a lot of cash on Mac's and than compare the performance with Windows running on budget PC machines....obviously the PC will give you head-ache, but invest the same money you would spend on a Mac and buy/build a PC, you will start laughing. Other funny thing is that all Mac's are Intel wardware based these days, but with a much higher component-per-kilo price than PC hardware. So the argument that the Mac architecture is much superior to the PC architecture is off the table.

Software/Operating System: Both have their pro's and con's and it is merly a personal choice / preference / mental condition. I did try it several times to switch from PC to Mac....no way for me . It's little things...like having the minimize/close buttons on the left side of windows/browsers. I am grown up with Windows having these buttons on the right side, and moving the mouse to the left to reach those buttons is just unnatural for me. I guess it's just the same with Mac grown-ups the other way arround. Windows is much more open for third-party software, so your choice is much bigger, but so are the chances that a poorly programmed piece of software is screwing with your OS is obviously bigger. Apple is a closed circuit world and the choice for software is much less, hence the chances for freaked-out OSX is smaller.....although the "Spinning Pizza of Death" is a very well known acronym in the Mac world.

Lifestyle: Not so long ago Apple used to be almost dead until the return of Steven Jobs....funny enough that was the time when Mac's were really superior to PC's. What made Apple a success recently was that Jobs created a live-style component to Apples products (there was not one movie in the cinemas without any Apple products), invented a few (at that time) cool products like iPhone or iPad, sharpend the designs around Apple products and created a myth around his person. The main target group was jung, urban people with a higher education and an eye for design.....and it payed off big time. So in most discussions Mac vs. PC it was not only about the technical facts, it was more and more a statment to what group (target audience) you confess yourself.

What I do:
At home I have a 27" iMac (for the Design, which is absolutely great) and run Windows via Bootcamp. Some will start like...ouhhhh, how dare you....but it's an Intel machine anyways. iPhones and iPads found their way to ebay, only Android stuff in my home
At work I have a PC (own built with indivual components) on Win 7 (Win 8 is a piece of crap), actually I have 2x Win 7 on dual boot, one for fun and trying all sorts of stupid things, and one for serious work with only necessary software. Guess what: I don't have any problems at all.

To sum it up...I made my choice and had my fair share of experimenting.....Winows works great for my personal taste and I won't change that. If my neighbor shows up with his brand new MacBook Pro and tells me how great it is and this and that, I am happy for him. He found the right thing for him (regardless of the reason) and so we happily sit together on the terace and enjoy our beer.....At the end of the day Apple and Windows are just two huge industry players who try to get your money.

PS:
Built my first hackintosh around four years ago. It's a stand-alone music server running Amarra, the thing has been on and connected since I built it. It has never crashed or required much in the way of maintenance. Set up a pc based music server running IRiver software for a friend(die hard pc guy), and we have had to wipe the drive and do a clean install twice in a year and a half.

Today that is done this way: http://www.sonos.com/system

Chris

Stacky

Im getting old and just repeating myself... (edited)

The problem now for me is that Apple seems to have become the company it was lampooning in its 1984 big brother adverts.

dazzab

So where did it all start:

If you invest the same money in PC hardware - assuming you know a bit about hardware and choose your components for what you need yourself - you just get a more powerfull machine.

And you are going to need a much more powerful machine because the software and operating system that you will be running will be terrible. If you have studied operating systems at all you will know that the memory management and overall architecture of Windows is terrible. It's amazing it works at all really. I'm sure you think I'm wrong but you can argue all you want with the likes of Prof Tannenbaum who are much more qualified than me.

Like it or not, all print and visual media professionals use Macs and have used Macs from day dot. I guess they could all be wrong.

As for me, I have used X86 since the days of CP/M and after that DOS and Windows. Thank goodness I had the opportunity to work with Unix for the past 15 years and made enough money to finally afford systems that work. Now I don't spend time putting together systems, updating drivers, troubleshooting incompatibilities - I just do my work. It's unfortunate that Apple has become so evil but that has nothing to do with their hardware/OS. And I still make plenty of money fixing those hordes of Windows machines out there. :)