Paya tech Pirate Eye video glasses

After messing with various setups and not being satisfied I bought a set of pirate eye video glasses. My goal is not FPV but video framing for my one man X8 copter.
The glasses come in a plastic tool case with foam to hold everything in place. A 2nd pair of clear glasses a cleaning cloth and some spares (rubber bands and some plastic pieces used for eyesight adjustment).
The Pirate Eye glasses weight 82 grams, the quality is nice and not uncomfortable for the 10 min I wore them. The video adaptor is aluminum of good quality.
When turned on the image is bright with a nice warm color balance and VGA resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio, similar to a 42 inch screen at 2 meters away. I had the RCA video connected to a canon HV10E to see how the glasses handle a good quality signal. There is some horizontal banding but the image is bright the text is readable and there is no lag. The image becomes a bit muddy after a few minutes of use. The display unit gets warm, the aluminum video adapter box stays cool.
The all around visibility is good and if you bring the glasses low enough on your face you can fly without the screen becoming an issue. Briefly glancing down with your right eye gives you a view of the video feed. Focusing is not possible but since there is no underscan you can frame correctly.
The dealer support is excellent with fast shipping and hourly responses to emails.
Overall I find the glasses usable but in this age of high quality LED & OLED monitors I am left wanting. If they get rid of the VGA monitor and use a higher def OLED screen, they will have a winner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 492
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 469
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 447
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 419
Last edited by a moderator:

plingboot

well, they said it could't be done and i shouldn't bother trying… but here they are, one set of oakley radars successfully converted for use with the pirate eye.

I simply wasn't feeling any love for the glasses supplied and they kept falling off, so i made a tracing paper template, then 15mins with a dremel and the holder clipped nicely into place - the curve is almost identical to the curve of the radar lens.

View attachment 8331

Attachments

• pirateeye.jpg
    pirateeye.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 476

featherodd

After messing with various setups and not being satisfied I bought a set of pirate eye video glasses. My goal is not FPV but video framing for my one man X8 copter.
The glasses come in a plastic tool case with foam to hold everything in place. A 2nd pair of clear glasses a cleaning cloth and some spares (rubber bands and some plastic pieces used for eyesight adjustment).
The Pirate Eye glasses weight 82 grams, the quality is nice and not uncomfortable for the 10 min I wore them. The video adaptor is aluminum of good quality.
When turned on the image is bright with a nice warm color balance and VGA resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio, similar to a 42 inch screen at 2 meters away. I had the RCA video connected to a canon HV10E to see how the glasses handle a good quality signal. There is some horizontal banding but the image is bright the text is readable and there is no lag. The image becomes a bit muddy after a few minutes of use. The display unit gets warm, the aluminum video adapter box stays cool.
The all around visibility is good and if you bring the glasses low enough on your face you can fly without the screen becoming an issue. Briefly glancing down with your right eye gives you a view of the video feed. Focusing is not possible but since there is no underscan you can frame correctly.
The dealer support is excellent with fast shipping and hourly responses to emails.
Overall I find the glasses usable but in this age of high quality LED & OLED monitors I am left wanting. If they get rid of the VGA monitor and use a higher def OLED screen, they will have a winner.

plingboot: You mentioned the display output left you wanting. Is this due to the resolution of the viewfinder or simply due to the composite signal from your receiver? I ask, as my FPV monitor always leaves me wanting a more crystal clear 1080p @ 50fps, but alas the composite analog video feed is what we have to work with. Have you spent much more time with your PirateEyes? I'm looking at getting a pair myself.

AirFoil-Skycam

24-7 live and eat this
Is it possible to rotate the monitor 90 degrees on the lens of the glasses for those of us that shoot in portrait mode 100% of the time? We have our monitors on ram mounts rotated 90 degrees for accurate portrait mode viewing but this always leaves the image on the glasses side to side. We need to run both the monitor and the glasses at the same time. If there's any you could rotate for this option I'm a buyer today.

Thanks

janoots2

Aaaargh! Just got my set but debating if I should keep the screen on the right eye since I am right eye dominant...
It seems to make the most sense to put the screen on your non-dominant eye so you can focus on your copter flight with your dominant eye, right?
Anyone have any experience trying out both sides they can share?