Parallel charging high-capacity/high-voltage LiPo

crayfellow

It sounds like the preferred chargers are iCharger (example iCharger 306B) and FMA PowerLab (example PowerLab 6). Naturally, everyone has their preference for what is best and how everything else is not best, but I'm wondering what is working for you.

Power supplies are obviously a major factor too, as more voltage means smaller current draw for equivalent power, and more power means faster charging and/or more batteries being charged at once in parallel. They can be bought off the shelf for top dollar, or you can grab a server-class computer power supply used and modify it for this purpose. Alternately, you could buy a few from someone who has already done that, or someone else, for a pretty reasonable price.

Battery connectors are also an issue. For example, you might like to use this to balance charge a bunch of batteries at once, but you'd need an adapter to go from deans to whatever you use for each (unless you use deans). There are alternatives (that one is for Anderson PowerPole, the connector I happen to use) but we'd need to make sure the balance plug uses the same layout as whatever charger you end up with.

These (or this) seem to solve the connector problem, right?

So, what works for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

crayfellow

I am looking to keep it simple with a Junsi S1200 power supply and Power Lab 6 charger. I'm well aware I could save a lot of cash by building my own power supply but the tinkering I'm most interested in starts with a reliable flying rig I can travel with. I can always use another adjustable power supply if I go that route vs. DIY. Anyone else with that combo?

Last edited by a moderator:

Same boat, would rather start off with a working ps then see about a server ps or what not. Though I am looking at the Junsi 350watt supply to keep cost down. I only do 3s/4s and it would give still give me 4x+ watts that I am currently working with. I start maxing that, I will then consider my own diy ps or snagging a 1k plus. Charger wise, PL6 sounds like the way to go, or 8 if that's what you need.

Also ordering a set of those modulars from Progressive. Little more spendy, but it only takes a cheap 6 port balance board to melt once and you lost any savings.