P2 auto landing with 40% battery?

For the third time time my P2 decided to go into auto landing mode with 34% battery life showing. A few days ago it went into auto landing mode with 42% battery showing on my iOSD. Both times I have managed to bring it back home safely with increased throttle. My settings are 20% for battery warning and 15% for auto landing.

I have been using the P2 now for 9 months and I am still highly delighted with it but this new development is worrying and I am concerned it will crash if far away from the home point. I am running the latest firmware and I have 3 batteries. The problem is only occurring with my first (original) battery purchased September last year (stats below).

Design capacity : 5200
Full capacity. : 5138
Current capacity : 5108. 99%
Discharged : 35 times
% of life : 89%

Cell voltages

The battery has been discharged 35 times and is showing 89% life left. I take great care of my batteries, normally returning home at 30% and landing at 20%. I store at 11.5v and have carried out a controlled maintanance discharge to 8% after the first 20 flights as suggested by DJI.

Anyone out there experiencing similar problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckaye

I have heard of several people having this issues on another forum (phantompilots). No-one seems to be able to pinpoint the problem, but from what I can see - I kind of suspect it is perhaps a bad batch of batteries. I would contact DJI with the exact info above as I have also seen people saying DJI has replaced such batteries as RMA - you're pretty close to a year so I would send them an email right away.

Unfortunately - there doesn't appear to be a pattern as to firmware or serial number - but I have noticed a lot of people saying their battery life is in the 80's in terms of percentages.

The other thing I have heard is that you can regain control of the heli and move it to a place where it can safely autoland but it takes full throttle to barely maintain altitude - so as long as you don't panic - you "should" be able to at least get it to a landing point.

It certainly sucks - because now that I know about it (my Phantom is only a week old) - I am going to be reluctant to do the cool waypoints over water or trees.

Thanks for that Buckaye, it appears I'm not the only one with this issue - there's over 200 posts on the PhantomPilots forum from p2 owners with the same problem. It will take a couple of hours to read through them all but hopefully it will allow me to get a better fix on the issue.

zinkracer

I experienced a similar problem and it was EXTREMELY disturbing. I couldn't trust it anymore. I went through all kinds of things trying to do what people suggested. I even purchased a Futaba TX - which does work. What I finally found was the DJI TX firmware was out of synch with the P2 software. Once I updated the TX software in RC Assistant and then went through the calibrations in Assistant, the problem went away. I was furious that I spent so much time and money only to discover that this firmware thing was the culprit. I am not suggesting that you have the same problem - take this story to your dealer and see what he says or send all of it back to your dealer and let him fix it. I do not think you have a battery problem. My 2 cents.