OSD for 250 RACERS

5artist5

Are you currently using an OSD for racing?
If so which one?
Have you tried any that were overkill or not enough info?

So many out there now not sure where to start.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I was thinking about this and was wondering what you'd want to know while racing except maybe battery voltage? I haven't raced yet but can't seem to justify what I might need for the weight it would add.

Opinions welcome....................

5artist5

I could imagine wanting to know voltage and elapsed time.
But I would also like to see artificial horizon and vertical speed.

cootertwo

Get a Taranis, and let the woman talk to you. She'll tell you all that stuff. You can even plug in headphones if you want to. My poor eyes have gotten so bad, I can't even see the little LED screen on most transmitters, without reading glasses, then have to take them back off, to see my quad, line of sight. Pain in the arse. Also have some Head Play, and one of the HK cheepee goggles, can't get either in focus enough to see right. Skyzones and Fatsharks still working for me, but I dunno for how long. Old age sucks! (66).

Bartman

the two biggies for NAZE322 seem to be MinimOSD and KVOSD. OSDoge from flyFPV.com is very nice in that it can sit atop the NAZE and not require additional space elsewhere on the heli. like you said there are many options.

of course, now that i've looked at it with you, i'm tempted to try one. the frame i've just designed and have started flying has minimal deck space on the plates so the OSDoge might be the best choice for me. i'll have to look at the features.

wiring is just a matter of looking at what each piece needs for power/grounds/data/etc and getting everything set up with as little extra wiring weight as possible.

5artist5

Thanks Bartman.
I'll check out that thread.
I ended up going with the micro minimosd. It was a little work to get it set up right. But it's working like a champ now!

It's very compact and light which is great for racers. I just have the artificial horizon and the battery monitoring enabled.

I would add this to any FPV racer I build from now on.

Bartman

thanks for the update, i'll have to check that out
glad it worked out for you

JDFelosi

Right now I'm using the mini-minimosd on a naze and gotta say it was a pain to solder up but it's a real space saver
View attachment 26858View attachment 26859

And will tuck in right by my cam and not even know it's there

View attachment 26860

I have to give credit to OscarLang's blog for the idea of pinning it out this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447874628.596531.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447874628.596531.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 362
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447874644.929214.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447874644.929214.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 481
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447874796.317917.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447874796.317917.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 299

cootertwo

Ha! I'm putting one of those Scorpion frames together right now! So far, I like it. Also ordered 2 sets of spare arms, from RC Dude.

Bartman

thanks for the info JD, looks mini-mini alright. the trend seems to be having the OSD integrated into the flight controller, we're seeing more boards with that arrangement (Brain FPV, OZE32, etc) but I can' say what works and what doesn't. Let us know how the mini-mini works for you. they all seem to display info ok but the presentation is what matters, in other words can you actually read what is being displayed and is it too much, not enough, or just right?