Hoverfly OSD and YAW issues .802

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
that was pretty easy. i powered up the helicopter/Pro, connected a servo lead to the bottom pins and connected them to an RCA lead that was plugged into an old television. the display was pretty basic but I'd love to have the battery voltage info if nothing else.

Storm, to do your test did you plug the servo connector to the bottom OSD pins with the yellow (video +) on the left? was the red wire disconnected? was there power to the Pro board from a flight pack?

StormRU

Firstly, thanks for your effort, Bart!
Secondly, yes the video signal is on the left and it was plugged into the bottom row, the red wire was disconnected (it is a power pass through pin to power camera from VTX), the HFP was powered with 4s battery.

There are only 2 wires that you need to see OSD info. They are left (video signal) and right (ground) in the bottom row. It is hard to mess it up! isn't it?

Did you get any OSD info? Are you running 4.3.802?

when i read your posts about manual and then you asked about the red wires.... i was smiling because that was exactly the question I had after reading the manual for the first time. )) I told HF that they made simple things complex in the manual ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Storm

I got the OSD info and it literally took all of about three minutes to get working. I'm going to wire my camera through the board and see how it looks over the video display.

The FC has .802 loaded and it flies really well.

I'd guess the OSD on your board isn't working or there's something very basic that isn't compatible or may be wired incorrectly. it's simple enough to hook up thought that I'd be surprised if something wasn't hooked up right. If you have a very high powered magnifying glass you can try to see if there's anything not quite right where the OSD pins are attached to the board.

Bart

dzwiss

My first experience with the OSD was that it was too dim. So of course I adjusted the contrast a little at a time counter clockwise until it was just right. But at some point, I think I went too far and I lost the OSD display completely. I had to play with the adjustment a few times back the other way until it finally reappeared. Can this be a possible issue? I haven't had any problem with it since and have not touched it either.

David

Photronix

Pilot
Yes this could be a possible problem because if the contrast is too low sometimes the monitoring device wont be able to sync

rotor88

same thing with my HFP board, plugged into osd connections and NOTHING!!!!! ended up being potentiometer. had to go back and forth a few times to get osd. pot acts as more of a switch than a contrast controller ;) was all or nothing.

StormRU

I have just connected OSD output to my Samsung plasma and armed motors. Camera is disconnected from HFP. I get only I message - "no signal" on the TV's screen. It means that my HFP alone does not output anything at all or a signal strength is too weak for the TV to recognize that there is incoming signal. If i connect the camera back to HFP, i can see the picture on TV.

Please, do not advise me to check the connection. There are only 2 wires and they are now soldered to RCA plug.

Bartman

i didn't try mine on a wide format television. i used an old CRT 4:3 Sony. I'll try it on my flat panel LCD and let you know if the TV is OK with it. you could also try to change your flat panel to show 4:3 then maybe it will take the OSD?

is there any voltage across the OSD output plugs? i don't know what would normally be there (I suppose I could check) but if it's zero then it would indicate that the OSD is dead, no?

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
It wouldn't be a PAL vs NTSC thing would it? I just reread the manual and didn't see a choice.... Just a thought.

Photronix

Pilot
Go on the support ticket system and request an RMA. I will try it here and if it is faulty we will send you a new one.

I have just connected OSD output to my Samsung plasma and armed motors. Camera is disconnected from HFP. I get only I message - "no signal" on the TV's screen. It means that my HFP alone does not output anything at all or a signal strength is too weak for the TV to recognize that there is incoming signal. If i connect the camera back to HFP, i can see the picture on TV.

Please, do not advise me to check the connection. There are only 2 wires and they are now soldered to RCA plug.

StormRU

Don't know how long it will take to deliver it to US from Russia and then back here. It is not going to happen fast anyway. So, I think i should keep it for now.

Bartman

Storm,

With a flight pack hooked up I've got .993 volts across the bottom/outer pins of the OSD.

Bart

PaNt

GUys can i ask something about the OSD...!

I have the transmitter connected with the cam..! Can i connect the ground and the signal in parraller with the cam and have them on my monitor??!
Or i have to connect the redwire too??!

Thank you!

Bartman

don't so anything with the red wire, snip it at the base of the plug. video goes in on the top (video + on the left, video gnd on the right) and the combined video/OSD comes out the bottom. i'm pretty sure it's that simple.

PaNt

don't so anything with the red wire, snip it at the base of the plug. video goes in on the top (video + on the left, video gnd on the right) and the combined video/OSD comes out the bottom. i'm pretty sure it's that simple.

Yeap i know..! thats what i will do when i put the gimbal ON...

What will i see without GPS on the OSD screen??
THan you

Bartman

i think when i hooked it up yesterday it shows battery voltage, altitude in meters, and some basic attitude info, and weapons status (guns/missiles/flour bombs/etc.). it may be more, i'm going from memory

PaNt

i think when i hooked it up yesterday it shows battery voltage, altitude in meters, and some basic attitude info, and weapons status (guns/missiles/flour bombs/etc.). it may be more, i'm going from memory
Also the Horizon right??? thats very importan if you can see it because if you cant see well you can undestand how the copter is on the Air>!

Bartman

that's what I meant by attitude info, it's got a bar that floats around to represent the relative location of the horizon

StormRU

I have jumping voltage from 1.83 to 2.25volts (acts like there is a capacitor in a circuit). I have got the same voltages on both top (camera in) and bottom (vtx out) rows of pins.

my 17 dollar hobbyking OSD sophisticated system gives me battery voltage, EM shield health, enemy radar, lock on target status, hoverfly home (office) direction arrow + distance, missile arrival estimated time etc..

Last edited by a moderator: