Opto esc

Hello guys. I found a king kong 12 a esc. Apparently, it does not have bec because it has opto. What is that? And will it work? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Monkey Relish

Hi,
OPTO ESC's are used to isolate the Flight Computer from switching noise feeding back from the ESC. There is no direct electrical connection to the ESC switching electronics, an OPTO ISOLATOR on the ESC transfers the signal from the FC using light.

If you use OPTO ESC's, the FC needs it's 5v supply fed separately from the battery using a BEC voltage regulator board.
If you use non opto ESC's, then they will have an onboard BEC. You then don't need a separate BEC to power the FC
Connecting one ESC to the FC will power it. The remaining ESC's connections will require the red power wire being removed.
Some FC's don't like multiple BEC supplies.

Make sense ?

Mr Relish

GlassKnees

Hi,
OPTO ESC's are used to isolate the Flight Computer from switching noise feeding back from the ESC. There is no direct electrical connection to the ESC switching electronics, an OPTO ISOLATOR on the ESC transfers the signal from the FC using light.

If you use OPTO ESC's, the FC needs it's 5v supply fed separately from the battery using a BEC voltage regulator board.
If you use non opto ESC's, then they will have an onboard BEC. You then don't need a separate BEC to power the FC
Connecting one ESC to the FC will power it. The remaining ESC's connections will require the red power wire being removed.
Some FC's don't like multiple BEC supplies.

Make sense ?

Mr Relish
Great explanation Mr. Relish. When building my Tarot FY680 Pro, I chose OPTO ESCs and didn't know what they were and had to learn the hard way - thank God for the internet! Anyway, since I am using an APM 2.6 FC, I also wired in an APM power module to supply power to the FC. But I needed power for my Tarot two axis gimbal and video transmitter, so I bought a UBEC.

I've also modified a PArallax Elev-8 quad with larger motors and OPTO ESC's and have the same solution - both aircraft fly great!

GlassKnees

Interesting explanation.. I just built my first brushless setup - a Diatone ET150 and I used Multistar 10a OPTO escs. I have a Flip32 FC. I was able to hook up the signal wire from the ESC to the FC and I grounded the other signal wire. Everything seems to work, however I was not able to flash or read the escs through BL Helisuite and CF. I know the FC has a BEC built in. Is that why my system is working or am I missing something? I have only played around with brushed stuff up until now.