Hoverfly Opinions About The AG550v2 w/ Hoverfly Controller Board?

smootheye

I have a mint condition, never used AG550v2 2-Axis Gimbal, Landing Gear setup. I also have the Yoke & IMS Upgrade Assembly (not installed).

Does anyone still utilize this setup? If so, what camera equipment do you use?
What is the current value of this setup?

photo1_zps3b01957c.jpg

photo42_zps05047ce4.jpg

AG550v22-AxisGimbal_zps93c45505.jpg

photo5_zpsa5c1054a.jpg

photo4_zpsaab5720b.jpg

photo2_zps899f09de.jpg

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I used to use the Hoverfly gimbal; board with a Cinestar gimbal, and it was very nice. I sold a 2 axis Servo driven Cinestar gimbal for about $250 with the hoverfly controller! So I think you are looking at about $50 to $75 for the entire deal.

Since the brushless revolution the value of any of the servo driven gimbals plummeted. My Cinestar was $1100 new! Not including the Hoverfly board!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
@smootheye

there are camera gimbals driven by RC servos and there are gimbals driven by rewired brushless motors. the brushless motors do a better job of stabilizing the camera for really smooth video footage but they can be tempermental to tune, a pain in the arse to rebalance when something on the camera (like a lens or lens filter) is changed, and sometimes the controlling board might not like the settings it's got from one day to the next. this situation has improved in recent months but these things are still there.

servo driven gimbals are not as smooth and can be equally challenging to tune. the torque of a servo though is very tolerant of cameras and other things being out of balance on the gimbal so they're easier to use if your camera set up is likely to change frequently over the course of a project. a servo driven gimbal would be my preferred choice for still photography and is perfectly good for that for all but the most discerning viewers. a little servo driven gimbal like what you have would also do well for an FPV helicopter where you might want to record your flight using a simple point and shoot camera. the video won't be perfect but it will depend on what your expectations are.

servo driven gimbals aren't worth a whole lot because of the popularity of brushless gimbals but i wouldn't say the value of that is zero either.

that little Hoverfly GIMBAL controller is probably the best servo driven gimbal controller out there, I've got three of them.

But the gimbal itself looks like it was damaged or assembled incorrectly as the U shaped arm that wraps around the camera appears to be twisted. Maybe that can be fixed? Value is probably about what SleepyC said given that twist in the gimbal's frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

smootheye

@SleepyC & @Bartman

Yowza! That's both good and bad news. Bummer about the value but good because now I wouldn't feel too bad about parting it out. I like the landing gear and I'd like to see how I can customize/fabricate it in different ways.

Maybe I could somehow utilize the gimbal on a pole (or anything else) w/ a GoPro??

Bartman

yup, it would probably be a perfectly good hand-held gimbal if you wanted to go that route with it.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yep the day the brushless gimbal was released it CRUSHED the servo gimbal market.

NOW... if you were planning on taking STILL pictures then this may be a different conversation. I know some "still pic" cats that still use a single axis servo driven gimbal with amazing results.

smootheye

Yep the day the brushless gimbal was released it CRUSHED the servo gimbal market.

NOW... if you were planning on taking STILL pictures then this may be a different conversation. I know some "still pic" cats that still use a single axis servo driven gimbal with amazing results.

"Still pic" cats that would happily pay top dollar for this beauty? Ha. I kid I kid. But seriously $$ talks. :)

Ya know, the more I look at it (landing gear, servos, gimbal) the more I appreciate it for its cool design, engineering, and look. Its like a piece of art.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

it looks like it uses mechanical components from ServoCity.com....their business probably took a bit of a dump also when brushless gimbals hit the scene. i was buying stuff pretty regularly from them as I was developing my gimbals, then one day, no more.