Tau Labs OP CC for camera mount stabilization

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
This is Seismics "How To" ......................................
75) You have a working camera stabilization.

Stacky
How would you rate the control or your mount with the CC board?
Thanks for sharing the step-by-step how to guide.
Bart

Stacky

Bartman in all honesty I dont have a huge amount of experience with gimbals so Im in the learning phase.
I have used the Naza gimbal control, the HFP gimbal control and the CC gimbal control.
Currently I have a small issue of jitter in my HFP when using a small jakub gimbal and George is helping me find the source of that problem. Some of my settings there may be the cause. Aside from the jitter issue it in my limited experience works well. The new HFP gimbal setup software is very simple and easy to use and from my limited experience has a decent level of adjustment control.

I didnt do much with the Naza gimbal control but that was easy to setup and I was happy as it worked well.

The CC gimbal seems to have a high range of adjustment available in settings and was easy to setup because of Seismics effort but I havent got too far into how good it actually is. On first glance it seems as good as the other 2. Im sure I could get it much better. The only downside to the CC gimbal control was the lack of documentation that will help a beginner user get set up. Thats just part and parcel of an open source project and Im not bothered by that fact as there are plenty of clever users to help anyway. Despite the lack of documentation it hasnt been hard to get help and get running. Im looking forward to when the Revo is released as the relative weaknesses of the CC board will be eliminated and its Im sure going to be a great FC.

Last thought is that value for money people will be really pleased with the CC gimbal control.

The quality of any gimbal control is not so much the software but the hardware. I have tested quite a few medium size gimbals. I found that over and over again the jitter issue is always related to the servo. Most smaller med size gimbals want to save weight and use smaller servos such as mini or micro servos. I found them very inadequate.

I am helping a designer in developing a new med size gimbal and we have stepped all the way up to a standard size servo just to move the Sony NEX 5 camera. That seems to be adequate finally and I am getting smooth camera stabilization from both the HFP and the CC board.

Stacky

Seismic, I have used a couple of Savox servos in my V2 jakub Gimbal. They are metal gear servos and the specs are speed rate 0.13 sec/60 and the torque is 3.9/54.2 kg-cm. The model is a SH-02555mg. The guy who sold them to me was sure they had plenty of strength to handle the gopro on the gimbal. I will see what George comes up with and maybe I might have to increase the servo size.
Cheers

I understand. I agree they should have plenty of power. I am using the 0256 Savox on my Jakub's gimbal and that seems to work ok but I have not tested it too much. Most days was pretty calm when I tested it.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...avox-SH-0256-Digital-Ultra-Torque-Micro-Servo

I found out that sometimes a powerful analog dumb servo actually gave me smoother camera stabilization. Go figure.

I am testing that theory right now. On one gimbal I tried one of those high end Futaba digital 9252. I get jitters. I changed to a dumb Hitec 635 analog and it smoothed out. The camera is not perfectly still when the multi rotor moves but the footage is much smoother.

Sometimes I think we use those digital servos in the wrong place. Servos are really designed for light weight control surfaces on fixed wings so a camera is a bit too much inertia. The digital servo may be trying too hard to keep center so we get jitters.

DennyR

Seismic wave

The reason that the analog servos worked better is probably because your radio tx. does not support 11m/s output on the Aux. channels. most don't. OP need to get that MPU6000 working in the new board if you want to get sensible res. using the 250 deg./sec outputs and 2G.

Last edited by a moderator: