On/Off Switch

Stacky

3 years ago when i first started building multirotors I built a Minsoo Kim (KK Multirotor) quad from all the parts he supplied in a kit form. It flew pretty well and I still have all the parts from that first build which often get rehashed in to various builds that I might try. One of the things in this early quad build was that it had an on/off switch. At that point in time I never gave it any thought as I simply accepted it as an ok thing because it came part of the kit. For the next 12 months that switch was used in a few variations of builds I did while I experimented with different configurations and sizes. I also used a bigger switch in bigger builds without actually doing any research in to the reliability of this
I have one quad at the moment that i use as a LOS practice quad which is using an on/off switch.
I have never once had any problem in 3 years of using these switches but have never used them in machines which I use for work or I feel are too valuable to risk a failure with. Despite blindly using them early on I have had a wary view of the switch.
I have been messing around for a while with building waterproof machines and am part way through a new version. One small issue is how I have the battery connected and battery positioning etc which means that a switch would be very convenient and make life very simple with respect to starting up this quad.
The trouble is I think this sort of thing is just an accident waiting to happen but a safe reliable switch in this current design and build would be a very handy thing.

Have any others ever used an on/off switch with their machines and what type of switch and what sort of ratings were they following?. The switch I have been using over the years has been a simple 20amp 125v AC on off switch.

jes1111

Another way to do it is with an "arming plug" - commonly implemented with Deans or Powerpole connectors. Last but one item on this page.

Last item on that page (anti-spark version) is also interesting - never seen that combination before :) - might try that.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The SPS is the dogs doodahs. If it fails, it fails to on rather than off so even a mid air failure ensures your flight will continue unhindered. I have one on my 600 and 700 heli AND my Skyjib 8 HL. Awesome bits of kit.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Switches on a Phantom are relatively easy but doing one for a heavy lift octo that can be pulling a constant 100A plus is another ball game!