Ok should we worry

tstrike

pendejo grande
I don't think any state will make the move until the Faa decides which state's will get the coveted 5 locations for drone testing. Last I read there were like 37 states in the running. I think we should be more concerned that the bombs that went off in boston used lipo rc batteries and an esc to detonate.

Dewster

I think this is the beginning. The main fear is protection of privacy from law enforcement or government . People don't want police drones patrolling the skies. Everyone is running scared of "Big Brother". So far Florida's bill sounds better than some that were proposed banning all "drones".

I flew in a field near a shopping plaza and people came up to ask if it was a police drone. I was told that the police pursued some guy on foot the day prior.

These laws will hurt the manufacturers that design surveillance drones with the intent of marketing them for law enforcement. This will hurt the industry or at least those companies that did not have a broader base outside of government entities. Their potential client base gets smaller and smaller. The FAA's red tape doesn't make it easier.

Maybe the companies should call them rescue observation drones.

On the hobby front, much of the innovation trickles down from advanced company research. There may be a slump in innovation.

Whats going to hurt the commercial and hobby industry are people who endanger air safety by flying too high, in restricted airspace or those that take risks flying over people. Those incidents are what spark debate and push legislators to come up with prohibitive laws. Its only going to take one report of someone getting hurt before the laws start pouring in.

Unfortunately flying RC or Drone aircraft is not protected by the U.S. Constitution.

First off, we don't use "drones" we fly hobby RC aircraft.

Second, it is a restriction of that law is for actual law enforcement.

Third, we should be afraid of what is to come. The hobby community needs to be careful with terminology. This is about politics, and political word games. We need to make sure you refer to the aircraft as a multicopter or multirotor and refrain from using the word drone. As "drone" seems to have this negative spin with the news.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Third, we should be afraid of what is to come. The hobby community needs to be careful with terminology. This is about politics, and political word games. We need to make sure you refer to the aircraft as a multicopter or multirotor and refrain from using the word drone. As "drone" seems to have this negative spin with the news.

Semantics, like it or not, they are drones in every sense of the word, embrace it, deal with it.

Second, it is a restriction of that law is for actual law enforcement.

I agree.

Semantics, like it or not, they are drones in every sense of the word, embrace it, deal with it.

Politicians and Lobbyist have no problems with using semantics, spin, double speech, and deflection tactics to further their agenda. We may have to fight fire with fire, to save our hobby. Also. With the general public, perception often becomes reality. If you were to ask 100 people their definition of a drone, 95 would probably descibe the predator or another military UAV.

Cheers,
Shawn

RobertsUp

I agree that some of it is about semantics. I've described my project to friends where I work and the common response is "drone". My camera carrying future build can be called a "drone". My friends at work have always known I'm building a "drone" and they're all eager to see it flying. It's for photography only. I'll never use the craft to lift a pressure cooker. Jeezus Effin Khrist.

Criminy.

Last edited by a moderator:

I I'll never use the craft to lift a pressure cooker. Jeezus Effin Khrist.

Criminy.

Pressure cooker! :tennis:Thats good. Although I think most of the uninformed public fear is that drones will be used for Big Brother types of activities, and not terror weapons. Interestingly a few hours ago my good friend called, he is a military pilot. He stated that the U.S. military frowns on the use of 'Drone', they are instructed to use UAV or RPV.

Cheers,
Shawn

RobertsUp

The journalism guild has its own dictionary. In Journalism words are spelled differently. In the real world, a process that separates pure water from sea water is called, "desalinization. Look at any media article and the media spells it, "desalination". The correct plural for "cactus" is cacti. The journalism spelling is "cactuses". In my opinion the media will go on referring to hobbyist multirotors as "drones". Nothing can be done about it, imo. No online news writer or TV or radio reporter will ever see the pleas from hobbyists wanting to downplay the negative denotations of the word "drone". The news media will always call both amateur and military rc aircraft "drones". It's already too late to change the Journalism dictionary.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLO

<article>
The News media with their sensational reporting for their raitings are also distorting the facts about the multurotors they call "drones" and exaggerating that "drones" are going to spy on people violating their privacy check out this news clip

http://news.yahoo.com/video/lawmakers-keeping-unmanned-drone-program-061500317.html

only because you can put a camera doesn't mean you are going to park one for 5 or 8 minutes of flight over peoples windows or fly over someones backyard or as the news anchor said "see inside our homes" com on!!
the News media all ready spy on people all the time to get the shots for their stories, paparazzi already do that with long lenses from the street or hidden from inside cars, or on top of lathers looking over fences politicians use all this to come up with easy dumb legislation that is probably use to show that are doing something in their jobs
we need to put out there videos that counter all this and to fight this paranoia 'haaaa the drones are coming we are doom" stuff.......​
</article>