Tau Labs Offsets

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'd prefer not to drift Crash's thread too far off topic so I thought I'd bring this discussion over to it's own thread.
A lot of the designs are round and flat so I can see where the offsets might not matter but if one were to design something taller and thin, the control board could potentially be inches above the plane of the propellers and the CG.
Is James saying that it still won't matter? I've been told it does matter and that's why heli gyros have the ability to enter offsets.
Thanks,
Bart

Correct, it doesn't matter. If your board is rigidly mounted anywhere on the frame then a rotation at one point will be the same throughout. Since they gyros at the dominant sensor for stabilization (and only in rate mode) then you'll be fine.

If you have it far from the rotation center and start doing continuous rolls or flips for a long time then eventually the acceleration away from the CG will bias the attitude estimate. If you are really doing that though then you probably aren't flying in stabilized mode though. It would also take a while to take effect.

There are correction factors if the board isn't flat or facing forward though, and you can just plug those in and mount at whatever angle is convenient.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks for the quick reply peabody124. I'm still very new to a lot of this so I appreciate the answer.
Bart