Official ARRI ALEXA Mini Renters' Thread

sk8brd

i dont think reds next cam is going to be designed with what arri had in mind. they pretty much just made the first multi rotor specific high end cinema cam. even though the epic has a similar design being cube like one can tell by the release notes that arri specifically had uav/gimbal use in mind. with the cube shape, lightweight, internal nd's etc. just a theory maybe i'm wrong though..red may surprise us.. i didn't see it coming tbh with what arri just did. it was nice surprise today when i saw the news.

Last edited by a moderator:

maxwelltub

I suppose it's possible RED could come out with a similar design but there is no way it will be as good. It might have some advantages such as price which would be big for most users. But also keep in mind in the past when RED makes an announcement it's usally a long time before their camera is actually released.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i guess this throws a little water on the GoPro-will-take-over-the-Earth argument??

$36k???? holy smokes, that's a lot of real estate videos!! lol

maxwelltub

I still think gopro will continue to hold a much larger market. I just hope they come out with a pro model that allows to lock exposure

I have never been excited more than this when a camera released.

Our productions will go to another level.

Now, we are waiting for the details of Red Weapon, and announcements from Canon, Black Magic, Sony at NAB. Pretty exciting.

The mini will change the game, certainly in the drone space. Regardless of what anyone else does or announces at NAB or anywhere, the situation for the foreseeable future is that Arri will continue to dominate conventional production and this will dovetail right into that workflow. The internal ND's are fantastic as is the remote interface. So useful! I can't count the number of times I've wanted to smash our redmote. :D

Hopefully the Weapon upgrade path isn't as clunky as it was for Dragon. The mini is not going to do them any favors. I still like our Red's and they will undoubtedly continue to be useful but there's a new sheriff in town now.

nick

Old Man

Sleepy,

You can rent all the big cameras from cinema camera and equipment rental companies already. The larger question might be what the premium would be to insure one of these against crash damage.

Bartman

would you guys mind if I change the title of this thread to Official ARRI ALEXA Mini Renters' Thread? after all, there will be more renters than owners! i'll also move it to the AP/AV sub-forum

it'll help it to show up in google searches better.

thanks
bart

Bartman

ok, thanks, it's done....welcome to the Official ARRI ALEXA Mini Renters' Thread!

By the way, I tried that Pho place in Philly a few weeks ago, wasn't bad, different from Japanese ramen but still pretty good stuff. Lots of exotic stuff on the menu, I went with the Beef and Noodles bowl, I wimped out

Has anyone else gotten a chance to try it out? I'd love to hear some more in-depth impressions if there are any. Is it very spicy? I'm not sure if I'd like Pho.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Sleepy,

You can rent all the big cameras from cinema camera and equipment rental companies already. The larger question might be what the premium would be to insure one of these against crash damage.

Oh I know about renting... I was asking about Leasing. Ohio has a limited "weather" window... Renting for 5 months would kill a budget buy leasing for 5 months.... Hmmm.

SleepC
no need for composite.

In the old film days, a composite video door was fine to frame the shot with. (It does not need to be HD) I would still like the option to use my old monitors and composite video tx. Having the CHOICE is king, I should be able to choose not to have to fit a HD to comp converter and all the extra wiring / weight / expense etc that goes with it.:rolleyes: