octo heavy lift, some odd flying things happening

jhardway

Just wondering if anyone have had any of the follow flight characteristics take place during flight. If so what did they find as the fix.

I have a heavy Oct 1000mm with 4014 motors, I am still trying to figure out the gains, but during flight every once in a while one of two things may take place.

First is just out of nowhere the copter will rotate about 20 degrees to the left, not knowing why this is happening, however just wondering if others have had this issue?

Over the past few years I have had 3 hexa copters and 1 quad and never have seen anything like this happen. I am wondering if it has something to do with it being a Octo Configuration.

The other is if I am going forward in fast flight the copter will sometimes will have a slight power change where the copter will lose altitude not fast but something enough where I will have to add some power to compensate the decline, then when I slow up the I will find the copter in a climb.

Just wondering if other have seen some of these things happen, I appreciate any feed back for idea's to figure it out.

the copter gains are in the 180 range for pitch and roll, I am playing in the range of 150-190 on the yawl gain which I currently have on a slider, and 160 in the vertical gain. I am thinking of dropping the vertical to 125 and see what that will do

look forward in hearing anything back

best flying all.

CdA D

As to the Octo rotating 20 deg to left you don't state when during the flight this happens. As to the loss of altitude when flying fast you will loose some lift because the direction of the propellers is at an angle to the ground. So as you have found out you need to increase you lift slightly to compensate. I have this with my quad when I get a little aggressive. This is NOT just an Octo issue.

jhardway

CdA D

the rotation happen at not given time, just every once in a while, so if I fly it for ten minutes then it may not happen but sometime during the next fight it may happen twice. I can not pin it down to when, its just off the whim, you will hear one of the sets of motors change for rotation, it will rotate then lock back up.

as of the drop in Alt its not the difference of lift from the angle I will be flying right along for a bit and then you can hear a drop in the power, even though my stick has never changed, and see the copter drop, Its like something in the flight controller is telling the copter its to high and it drops. I do not think its something with the barometer but I am not sure.

I am wondering if that has anything to do with the vertical gain, or if its a combo of the vert gain and octo setup, my vertical gain is at 150.

Just trying to figure it out.

thanks

CdA D

I have done some asking around and it might be advisable to reset your gains. Set them just the way that DJI says, 10-15% at a time. I have had to do this twice until I got it right. It is a pain in the backside, but easy enough to do. Then lets see what you have. How are your ESC's after the flight? Cool, warm or hot?

bensid54

I'm not a techy type guy so programming and setup are not places I can go. I have had situations with my helicopters where if I have a bad battery can cause some random glitches. Does this happen on all batteries? Is your power source functioning correctly? Are your batteries charging the same amount and at the same rate? I find that when it comes to random glitches that are not consistent the above I mentioned is often the case. One more thing are all your plugs pushed in all the way and secure?

jhardway

CdA D

thanks and I am on the verge of reloading the firmware, just to see, and at that point I would re do the gains, As of my ESC Maytach opti 45amp, with 4014 motors, they are landing pretty much cool to touch, maybe on the edge of warm, but more to the cool side. All are the same in temp, all motors are the same to temp. I am planning to do some more testing today, if anything changes I will post. As if battery everything is connected solid as I can see, I have two different sets, one 10700amp, and 2x (5300) the characteristics are showing up with both bats.

thanks for the thought so far, I really appreciate the time and its what I love about the forum, people taking the time to share.

cheers all

FerdinandK

is it a flat octo or a X8? Have you checked all motors to be perfectly horizontal? If it is a X8 did you mix the props at top and bottom?

best regards
Ferdinand

Remoteworks

Had the same rotation issue while flying 11kg heavy lift octo. Last flight was above water with allot of expensive gear. Got me really scared. Only solution i could find was ditching the flightcontroller

3515 Tmotors, 14x5xoar, Herkules III, 2x 6s5800,mx20