Not getting a GPS lock or so I think.

Dixon

Recently purchased a Cinestar 6 and the DJI Wookongm flight controller. I have been practicing on the phantom 1 to somewhat prepare myself for the Cinstar. In start-up, the phantom gives me series red LED blips which gradually ends meaning I have a 6 or 7 gps satellites locked into my phantom flight controller. With the cinestar I get burst of colors from the LED and and then a series of yellow and green blips which eventually stop and then turn into 3 red blips. These 3 red blips are continuous. If i put the stick in Atti, the signal remains the same except it has an additional yellow and if I then put the stick in GPS, there are 3 red blips along with a purple. Is this the start up sequence for the WookongM or is the LED sequence telling me that I am not receiving any satellite locks at all?

Confused rookie

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Agreed, not getting satellite lock. Check your setup, especially where the GPS antenna is plugged in. And re-calibrate also.

Dixon

I checked the connections for the GPS antenna, they were good. How do I do re-calibrate the GPS?

Benjamin Kenobi

You do the DJI dance. Flick between GPS and manual mode about 7 times to enter calibration mode. Read the instructions first and check out the youtube videos for a better description.

Dixon

I am familiar with the DJI dance. I have flipped the stick between GPS and manual mode about 7 times, wait on the blue light, rotate 360 degrees with the nose down, I then get the green light, rotate 360 degrees with nose out, get a clear light for about 3 seconds - I thought that was calibrating the compass? Practicing on the phantom, I would set the compass after the flight controller had located 6 gps satillites. Is this not the case with Wookong M also?

Thanks,
Confused Rookie

Benjamin Kenobi

I am familiar with the DJI dance. I have flipped the stick between GPS and manual mode about 7 times, wait on the blue light, rotate 360 degrees with the nose down, I then get the green light, rotate 360 degrees with nose out, get a clear light for about 3 seconds - I thought that was calibrating the compass? Practicing on the phantom, I would set the compass after the flight controller had located 6 gps satillites. Is this not the case with Wookong M also?

Thanks,
Confused Rookie

Yep, that's the compass calibration alright. Although you do the nose out first, then the nose down, but it may not matter. And you're right, it is best to do this with GPS lock according to DJI.

Still not sure why you're not getting GPS lock. Your GPS antenna is plugged straight into the Wookong, and not one of the hubs?

Dixon

I went out earlier and checked the LED signals again. The first series of signals are a splatter of different blips - no idea what that means. The second set of signals were green/yellow repeated several times which I understood to be an abnormal compass reading. At that point I began the compass calibration, click, click, click, - blue-nose out - green-nose down and white to confirm. When I received the all clear the satellite search began. It appears to have found 6 of the seven satellites easy enough with the 7th fading in and out or so I am thinking. With the stick in manual, there are no blinking lights except for the random red (blinks for a while then stops). With the stick in atti, there is the yellow blinking light with the random red and the same goes for the gps position (purple with random red).

At this point I believe that I do have a GPS lock along with the compass being calibrated (yeah!!)
As far as the GPS antenna is concerned, it is plugged into a hub which in turn ties into the Wookong at the X1 port and also another larger plug that connects to the Wookong at a port with an odd configuration on a red background. The other connections to this hub are the LED sensor and incoming power.
I take it that it should be tied into the Wookong directly??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

chipwich

This thread probably belongs in the DJI section.

No experience with the WKM, but if it is like the NAZA, do you think that you've given it enough time for your GPS almanac build? If I haven't flown for a while, or if doing a new build, it can take a while (~10 mins. typical) for the data to download. Some pilots use a separate pack for this, then switch to a fresh pack once you go all green.

This is where the IOSD comes in handy. Check connections, Calibration dance horizontal then vertical.
I take it your not in a built up area ?
Clouds also effect the GPS signal, GPS signal can take longer to lock in different weather conditions.
If you have a second hand UAV maybe you need a new GPS due to flight or transpiration damage
You can also get a GPS app for iPhone to check GPS signals are strong or weak
Chipwich has some good advice above.

Good luck