Noobies First F450 Build is about to Begin. There are still some Serious Concerns

RobertsUp

Hi to You All,

I began planning my build 5 weeks ago. Today, all the major components have been collected. All separately. And chosen as best as my knowledge enabled. Here's what I have:

450 top and bottom plates
Arms
Screws to assemble the frame
The heavy lifting conversion kit from AMP
Maytech 40 amp esc's already flashed with SimonK
AR8000 receiver & a telemetry sensor
Naza M with gps
Two powerful LiPos
+
An assortment of all the tools I'll need. Today I wandered around Home Depot and collected several required doodads. More are needed.

My first big concern occurred to me today. I think the battery I received is too big and heavy. Not power-wise. I think it's weight and dimensions are over the top. It will be okay if I mount it to the bottom plate underneath the craft. But then I believe I won't be able to also mount a GoPro underneath the craft. I've decided to get the batwings landing gear. But just to clarify, I'm not even going to start researching camera mounts before the craft is flying reliably after many test flights. If I mount the battery on top, I think it will make the craft too top heavy and cause too much strain on the motors. Solution would be to get smaller and lighter batteries to mount on the top. I don't know as yet. The battery is so wide that it covers most of the top plate beyond the slots for the battery straps. The battery is too heavy to mount underneath without fears of it coming loose from its own weight.

Any thoughts? It's my first thread-starting question.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertsUp

which lipos do you have rob? and when doing my first 550 build i found the videos at Aerial Media Pros super valuable. You will find they will help with 450 too.

bottom of the page- http://aerialmediapros.com/store/support.php?osCsid=5bb62k2toleldk6vtphp059r77

Hi, hjls3,

I bought my LiPo's from Aerial Media Pros. (AMP)

They're the 4S 6600 mAh.
View attachment 10746

The batt is shorter and wider than others. Its almost as wide as the top plate. So the battery strap would have to go around the whole top plate.
Doesn't matter if I ought not continue with them. I can just keep them for a future build. I've seen every video made by AMP.

Edit: I checked again and now realize the battery is too big to be carried on the top. There would be no room to affix the gps base. So I guess my first question has changed. With that big battery velcroed and strapped to the bottom plate, is it still possible to mount a GoPro somehow?

- Rob

Attachments

• Pulse%20DJI%20F550%204S%206600%20mAh%2035c.jpg
    Pulse%20DJI%20F550%204S%206600%20mAh%2035c.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 276

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Yes what LiPo and how much do they weigh?

What is your expected flying weight?

I just finished another DJI450 based quad with some NTM 2826 motors, with 2200mm 3S packs I get about 8 minutes flight time and with 2700mh 3S packs over 10 minutes on 9x4.7 props. Once I add the 450 grams of gimbal and GoPro those times will drop somewhat.

Pete

RobertsUp

Yes what LiPo and how much do they weigh?

What is your expected flying weight?

I just finished another DJI450 based quad with some NTM 2826 motors, with 2200mm 3S packs I get about 8 minutes flight time and with 2700mh 3S packs over 10 minutes on 9x4.7 props. Once I add the 450 grams of gimbal and GoPro those times will drop somewhat.

Hi Pete, You know I haven't even tried to calculate weights and so forth so maybe you'll have some thoughts about my setup.

As for the batteries, I changed course and ordered smaller ones. I'll keep those big green LiPos in reserve for a future 550 build.

Here's whats coming: 4s 4400 mAh The weight is 406 grams. With that, there'll be space for the gps base.

View attachment 10778

The motors are 2814's 770KV They weigh about 139 grams. 560 grams for four motors.

View attachment 10779

I aleady have Graupner 11 inch propellors. The arms will have the extension plates to accommodate them.

With my level of experience, (none) I want to begin with that cable isolator/jello eliminator and just hang the GoPro from the bottom. Anyways I'm months away from getting a camera. I just want to get the craft in the air and tested and tweaked until I'm satisfied it's reliable. I realize the setup is overkill for the GoPro with cable isolator.

Rob

Attachments

• PAJCAAPMPCKILALN.jpg
    PAJCAAPMPCKILALN.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 2814.jpg
    2814.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 284