Noob Looking for Guidance

RCMindBug

Hello all,

Like many others, I'm looking to build my first drone for fpv flying. Racing? noob here. Not yet.

Quick intro, I'm not new to RC, done a lot of nitro surface RCs, and started to get into Heli's in the past. But I got robbed a few years back, and they got most if not all my Heli's and air gear (a DX8 with 1 month of use). Recently I was watching TV when I was on travel and came across DRL. Instant infatuation! Good Lord...

About 2 years ago, I wanted to get back into the air with Helis. So I started by replacing my DX8 with a DX9. It sat in the box since. I have been doing my research and noticed that Spektrum isn't king anymore. In fact, it seems like lots don't like them anymore. So I bought a FrSky Taranis to Start.

Here are my questions:

I'm starting a parts list. Here is my Google sheet. Am I missing any parts I should need?

What Flight Controller to buy?!?! Lord, there are so many options it's crazy. I have done more reading on FCs, then any other part of the drone and I still feel lost. F1, F3, F4, MuiltWii, 'Base, Clean, Beta, Race -Flight', manufactures, sensors, AIO, on and on. I'm in IT as a network engineer, so playing with firmware and Linux isn't new to me. Honestly, I still don't fully understand the meanings. At first, I thought Clean/Beta-flight was just software (GUI) to configure the FC. Then I found out it was firmware. So if anyone has a good site or vid that explains the history? I would love to know. I know this question just stirs up a debate, but I would just like to know what FC I should start with, and why? Are there classes of FC for level of experience?

Is using an RC Fight Simulator good to use for practicing flyin drones? I have Phoenix, is that good enough or should I get something else?

I know the craze is Mini-drones, and fpv racing. That's first on the list. But I would like to also build a bigger quad for aerial footage etc. What is a good frame to look at? I would like to install a camera gimbal, of course. Looking to build a quad. I bought a dji frame wheel f450, but that was stolen as well. Is it me, but I don't see much in that market space. Bigger quads or non-mini quads.

Guys thank you, thank you for takin' the time to read my post. Time is money, and I fully understand that.

Thanks for the time and support,
Nick

Hi, welcome to FPV! I have a few thoughts on my preferred hardware:

FC: F3 based SP Racing 6d0f, or KISS
PDB with OSD: Matek HUBOSD
ESCs: basically any 30A BLHeli_S
Motors: 2205 or 2206 with 2300kv+
FW: betaflight (stock PIDs just work)
VTX: Tramp HV (a bit costly but worth it)
Cam: one with Sony CCD sensor
Frame: Alien ( or clone martian) or QAV-R
Battery: 1300-1550mah 4S lipo with 45C+
Antennas: Aomway

Most stuff is available cheap on Amazon quickly (search crazepony or readytosky) or Chinese sites like bangood.com super cheap but slow. The QAV-R and alien will need an hs1177 size camera, the martian will need a 30mm board camera.

Edit: for goggles, I am a big fan of the Eachine ones. They are cheap with large field of view and resolution. One of the ones with diversity receiver would be best. They have one that is 800x480, and one that is 1920x1080. I am still using my EV800 which is not diversity and is 800x480 but look great. The receiver isn't the best, so the diversity ones would be worth it. I prefer these over $350 fatsharks, but be warned they are big and not quite as comfortable for long sessions.

Last edited: