Noob Looking for advise on first purchase!

MikeR

Hello, I am new to the forum and just recently fell in love of the idea of FPV Drone racing. I have a small back ground in RC planes and am just getting into Drones. I need some help with my fist purchase. I am looking at getting 2 drones right away. One small for indoors and 199mm one for outdoors. I already have the devices that I would like picked out. I want to make sure that everything I get will work together. Also I would like to know what entry level googles would be good for me that will also work with both drones.

Here are the 2 Drones I would like
http://www.helipal.com/storm-racing-drone-bnf-srd101-cleanflight.html
http://www.helipal.com/storm-racing-drone-bnf-srd199-loki-x5-cleanflight.html

This is the transmitter I would like also
https://www.amazon.com/OrangeRx-Dig...8835848&sr=8-1&keywords=OrangeRx+T-SIX+2.4GHz

Here are some of my questions.
What receiver do I need to get to bind my OrangeRx to the LokiX5?
What googles can I get that will work on both in the low to mid price range?
With this package of things what else might I need to buy?

Any help would be great. Just a noob looking to make sure he gets everything he needs that way I am not disappointed.

Thanks

Looks like a good choice in the Loki. I myself am waiting for delivery of an SRD101, but it is probably still a week out. I will post on here once I get a chance to check it out. Apart from the Loki, you might check out Droneproz.com, they have some really good stuff and individually tune every drone at their shop in California. My friend got a Lumenier 5" QAV-R from them and it is quite nice.

You will need some Lipo batteries in the 1300mah-1550mah range. Preferably 4S with a fairly high C rating. You will need a charger, I use the iMax B6 and it has worked well. You will also need a DC power supply for the charger. A charging board would be nice as well, to charge more than one identical battery at a time.

You might consider a radio with FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum), like the Radiolink AT9S. It has a very solid connection, high range, extremely low latency and includes the receiver (mini receivers are available too for $20). It also supports S.Bus protocol to the flight controller, which is pretty much the best out right now. If you do go with that Orange, any DSSS-2 receiver would work. These appear to use PPM, which would probably be the second best after S.Bus. Edit: it doesnt look like they offer the SRD101 with a DSSS-2 receiver, nor is there a compatible receiver small enough that i see. Honestly, i have never heard of DSSS-2 before. They have options for FrSky, Radiolink and Spektrum.

For goggles, I am using some very inexpensive Eachine EV800 and they have a great picture. The receiver (range) doesn't seem as strong as my friend's $350 FatSharks, but the picture (mostly due to much much larger Field of View) on the EV800's beats the FatSharks hands down. I am going to be trying some better antennas out to see if that helps, and maybe a new VTX if it doesn't. Eachine now has the VR D2 goggles which have a diversity receiver so that may be a better choice for you.

One more thing, IF you are experienced with soldering and mechanically inclined, I would build one. It makes it much easier when it comes time to do repairs since you know where everything is and what it does. You will be crashing. A lot. Stuff will break. Plus it is fun, if you are into this kind of stuff and not really all that hard if you can solder already.

I hope you get some other opinions on here, but that is my take. Good luck!

Last edited: