No video output on Zenmuse Z-15G Sony NEX5 - Help?

vpimagery

Hi guys,

Did a cursory search online on Google and here but am trying to get this thing working for a shoot tomorrow (I know... flame away... nothing like last minute). Several test flights have been good except I hadn't set up the downlink yet and I'm running into problems. I have a 5.8GHZ downlink mounted and wired properly but am not getting any video signal on my monitor from my Sony NEX-5. I think it might have something to do with a radio setting (need to turn on HDMI output or something?) but am struggling with getting the switches on my radio set up properly. I've got the mode switch working, and the pan/tilt is working great. I also have a 2 position switch assigned to the shutter for still shots. Can anyone who has set up a 2-radio setup point me in the right direction for how to get the video output working?

Thanks,
Tim

I had the same problem, here was the solution that worked for me.

On the nex5, go into the setup menu. Under HDMI Resolution, choose 1080i (not 1080p). This seems to be the requirement for the zenmuse to send out the video. It will not affect the recording of the video on the nex5. That is, it will still record in 1080p.

Also, make sure that your video tx and rx are on the same channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

vpimagery

Thanks, FlyingMachinesGuy. That seemed to do the trick. I appreciate your help! I can start the camera recording manually and I get downlink signal. One other problem I'm having is that when I try to use it for still shots and trigger the shutter, the Zenmuse starts blinking red and I lose my video output... ideas on that one?

Thanks,
Tim

I had the same problem, here was the solution that worked for me.

On the nex5, go into the setup menu. Under HDMI Resolution, choose 1080i (not 1080p). This seems to be the requirement for the zenmuse to send out the video. It will not affect the recording of the video on the nex5. That is, it will still record in 1080p.

Also, make sure that your video tx and rx are on the same channel.

I'm not sure if this will help as I mainly shoot video and don't have my system set up to fire the shutter remotely.

In order to get the nex5 to work with a remote control, you must change the settings. Under the Camera menu, choose "Drive Mode" and select "Remote Commander" to allow the camera to fire the shutter with a remote. The Z15 uses an IR led to trigger the camera just like a remote.

BTW, do you actually have the Z15G? If I am not mistaken, the G model of the Z15 is for the panasonic GH-2 camera. The N model(s) of the Z15 are for the sony nex cameras. I would be very curious if the G model could be used with a sony camera as this relates to a question I posted in another thread about using the Z15 with a camera different than the one labeled.

One other problem I'm having is that when I try to use it for still shots and trigger the shutter, the Zenmuse starts blinking red and I lose my video output... ideas on that one?
Thanks,
Tim
Are you sure that you don't have your HDMI Output channel and Shutter Control channel set to the same channel? From what you are describing, it seems that HDMI Output is being turned off when you commmand the shutter. But then again, maybe that's just how I am reading your note.