2. Windows sucks
3. Windows sucks
4. Windows sucks
5. Windows sucks
6. Windows sucks
7. Windows sucks
8. Windows sucks
9. Windows sucks

Why the hell do all the copter programs (CARVEC, PiclocToolz, MKTool....) work completely without issue on my iMac and MacBookPro via Parallels and hardly EVER work on my ASSSUS PC? CARVEC is the only one that seems to function on both platforms. Both PiclocToolz and MKTool hardly ever function because COM port issues. To have any chance at all involves a not always consistent or foolproof process of making sure the dongle/MKUSB is plugged in at boot-up - connecting at any other time is a guarantee of non-compliance - and in the case of PiclocToolz it has to be fired up with all Piclocs connected, then the dongle has to be removed as the Piclocs are initialising, then they and PiclocToolz have to be turned off and the dongle re-connected, then PiclocToolz has to be restarted and finally the Piclocs turned on.

This does not always work but it does some of the time.

With MKTool the MK-USB also has to be connected at boot-up. Any other time will not produce COM port errors. But even then it cannot be removed and reconnected or MKTool restarted more than a few times before the same COM port errors appear. That is with the USB cable. I cannot get the bluetooth data-link connection to work AT ALL on the PC and yet it works fine on the two Macs.

With the the Macs however, the dongle can be plugged in or taken out as many times as you want at any time you want and all three programs work without any fuss.

This Windows OS is just plain rubbish.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
1. Windows sucks
2. Windows sucks
3. Windows sucks
4. Windows sucks
5. Windows sucks
6. Windows sucks
7. Windows sucks
8. Windows sucks
9. Windows sucks

Why the hell do all the copter programs (CARVEC, PiclocToolz, MKTool....) work completely without issue on my iMac and MacBookPro via Parallels and hardly EVER work on my ASSSUS PC? CARVEC is the only one that seems to function on both platforms. Both PiclocToolz and MKTool hardly ever function because COM port issues. To have any chance at all involves a not always consistent or foolproof process of making sure the dongle/MKUSB is plugged in at boot-up - connecting at any other time is a guarantee of non-compliance - and in the case of PiclocToolz it has to be fired up with all Piclocs connected, then the dongle has to be removed as the Piclocs are initialising, then they and PiclocToolz have to be turned off and the dongle re-connected, then PiclocToolz has to be restarted and finally the Piclocs turned on.

This does not always work but it does some of the time.

With MKTool the MK-USB also has to be connected at boot-up. Any other time will not produce COM port errors. But even then it cannot be removed and reconnected or MKTool restarted more than a few times before the same COM port errors appear. That is with the USB cable. I cannot get the bluetooth data-link connection to work AT ALL on the PC and yet it works fine on the two Macs.

With the the Macs however, the dongle can be plugged in or taken out as many times as you want at any time you want and all three programs work without any fuss.

This Windows OS is just plain rubbish.

It's not the OS that's the problem, it's the hardware you're trying to run it on that's the problem, if it were the OS it wouldn't work right on your Mac either.

I have an HP Netbook Mini that has just about every flight controller config program in existance on it along with things like Castle Creations software for configuring their BECs and Hyperion servo programming software. I can run anyone of them and just plug in the USB cable it's connected immediately, unplug and fire off a completely different app and plug in the USB and it also works immediately. Likewise on my bigger HP dv9000 laptop, everything works by just plugging and unplugging the cables, the Netbook runs Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit, the big laptop same thing only 64 bit.

Ken

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
It's not the OS that's the problem, it's the hardware you're trying to run it on that's the problem, if it were the OS it wouldn't work right on your Mac either...

I wondered if anyone would pick up the fatal flaw in that rant. Of course yes, it has to be this ASUS EeePC netbook. Surely the Atom 1.6G processor is man enough for these paltry programs? It was purchased new, specifically for all these heli PC programs, starting with CARVEC, and then these dongle issues came along with Picloc.

What actually really frustrates is that I have no idea where to look inside Windows to address such hardware issues. Windows HELP and Troubleshoot are pathetic. I have never, ever, not even once, generated a helpful response from either. I know where to look in a Mac to fix stuff but have no idea where to poke around inside Windows.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I disagree, it is the OS. Compare removing a program just as one example. Unreal! Windows is designed so anyone can write software for it. Open loose ends and non secure pipelines topped with inefficiency. The PC serves only 1 purpose and that is to make me appreciate my mac that much more. I feel stress and anxiety when I am on the PC. As I imagine a psychopath might have to keep himself from doing something rash and irreversible, I too find myself just barely refraining from grabbing a baseball bat and beating the ever loving crap out of that thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont even want an android phone anymore because I mentally associate it as being the equivalent of a windows product. No Xbox, no windows, I now see the light. All my friends spent years trying to get me to convert and now I will NEVER go back. If Apple goes out of business I will either continue to run my current mac or I will just stop using a computer all together.

If I need to be even more extreme about it, I will go buy a volkswagen beetle and keep the flower that comes with it, wear matching ironed clothes, live in a foofy overly developed loft and buy tons of matching Ikea furniture. Kidding

Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest after spending more time installing and restarting my laptop than I did building the heli!

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi MombasaFlash

i have to agree with Ken its the hardware and not the OS

if you have not had the Netbook that long then restore it back to factory settings take it back to where you got it and upgrade it for somthing better

like anything in life nowadays you get what you pay for

spend a bit extra and get somthing that will do a better job

shouldnt be a problem if its new

keith

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
What I do not get with this netbook is that it has nothing on it except Office, CARVEC, Picloc and now MKTool. It was meant to do one thing only, run the heli configuration programs - and avoid having to take the MacBook into the field all the time. Otherwise it is not called upon to do anything. But it still cannot cope. Bleeding rubbish.

Plan B is to get a MacBook Air and run Windows on that.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
What I do not get with this netbook is that it has nothing on it except Office, CARVEC, Picloc and now MKTool. It was meant to do one thing only, run the heli configuration programs - and avoid having to take the MacBook into the field all the time. Otherwise it is not called upon to do anything. But it still cannot cope. Bleeding rubbish.

Plan B is to get a MacBook Air and run Windows on that.

If it were mine the first thing I'd do is flush the pathetic Win7 home edition that comes preloaded for something that has some Ba**s like Win7 Ultimate, that removes any arbitrary limitations put in place to induce the purchaser to upgrade the OS. Since I have a technet subscription it costs me nothing to do this on my own machines, it's covered in the technet agreement. The average person on the other hand will have to shell out some amount of $ to upgrade which is the whole point of the dumbed down OS the factory installs.

Ken

P.S. doing away with Bill Gates early on would have only enticed some other techno geek to come up with something else that would be equally lame...

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I uninstalled all antivirus software, removed every program, defragmented the drive, removed everything possible. It took over 2 hours to do this. What would have taken 2-3 minutes on my mac. Windows: control panel, add/remove programs, populate the list, remove, explain why, more stupid questions, restart computer, and repeat. Mac: move application to trash.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
blaaaaaaaaaaaa blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

here we go again

this is starting to look like another mac v pc thashing thread

if you dont like the pc then stick to ya mac

and visavesa if ya dont like mac stick to ya pc

sure we have all heard it before always ends and nobody wins

somebody once said a bad workman always blames his tools

thankyou for small mercies at least there is an unsubscribe tool for threads (cheers bart)

laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz keith

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
If it were mine the first thing I'd do is flush the pathetic Win7 home edition ...

Ah-Ha!

'Home Edition'. The netbook came with XP Home Edition installed, whereas the Macs have XP Professional. Maybe that's why they work and the crapbook doesn't.

But then, if it doesn't do normal things because it has been deliberately hobbled as a 'Home Edition' that would mean that actually it IS the OS that is the problem. Sorry for sending gadget to sleep with all this. I just had a sort of similar problem actually. In order to install XP Pro I have to boot up off the CD. On those crappy old Macs the way to do this is by inserting the CD and holding down the C key during startup.

The XP disc explains in grrrrreeeeaaaatttt length the various ways in which you MIGHT be able to configure the computer to boot up off the CD. Depending upon your computer there are about a dozen different options that may or may not work.

Sorry gadget old boy, I'm with Iris. Off you go.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Bart, I got the next competition idea. Best aerial video of your unwanted computer being destroyed.

On a brighter note. I just received an automated phone call from an aerial photography agency that is planning on flying over my business. I thought one of you was playing a prank on me. :)