Nikon V1 as an Option

jforkner

Attached is an aerial photo and a video taken with a Nikon V1. The photo is a 3-panel panorama; the video taken at 720x60p then slowed down 50%. The photo was processed in Photoshop CS5; the video in iMovie. The video was edited for content, but no stabilization was applied.

These are offered because I've read a few questions about the possible use of the camera for AP, but I've seen none posted. While the camera has some limitations, it does offer a few features that make it great for AP. It has a time-lapse feature that allows you to set the shutter to the desired interval (say, every 5 seconds), thus eliminating the need for a remote shutter device. It also has a video out port that will connect to a TV/monitor and display in real-time the thru-the-lens view---haven't tested with FPV Tx/Rx, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Make no mistake, I'm no videographer, I mostly do landscape photography. The posted video exhibits a bit of jello, but not too bad. I attribute most of that to my camera mount/gimbal that I'm still trying to sort out. I'm using an x468 Medium Mount and there's a bit of play in some of the connectors that hold it to the bottom of my hexa. This particular video was taken with the roll axis of the gimbal disabled and the mount fixed in position about that axis. I tried this because, for the most part, my hexa doesn't bank much when changing directions, and I thought a more rigid camera platform might perform better. Since I mostly take photographs and seldom do video, I didn't see the roll axis as too important.

These are offered for what they're worth. Nothing spectacular; just some early attempts.

Jack

View attachment 4241 Unless you enlarge the image and then zoom it to view at the posted resolution, it may look like "soft focus."

Attachments

• Clubhouse2.jpg
    Clubhouse2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

Thanks for sharing Jack, intervalometer is interesting, I think this is similar to the J1. From what I've seen on here it seems top notch. I have not looked much beyond Canon thus far.
The range of cameras available is so wide its hard to pin down what is suitable. the stumbling block for me with a good many cameras that appear to be ideal in every other way is image stabilization that cant be switched off.

jforkner

Yes, it's similar to the J1, but with an included EVF. BTW, the limited stabilization (called Vibration Reduction) can be switched off.

Jack