Next machine?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you want GPS capability, you will need to buy a GPS :)

Seriously though, if you're even THINKING about using the ardupilot series (pixhawk, APM etc) you really want to start reading and researching now. They are by no means a plug-n-play option. You're going to need to spend a ton of time getting familiar with it - to ensure that you fly safe.

davey_b

Hmmmmmm, ok. I'm really looking for stuff like loiter and return to home, can you get that on other FC's that don't cost the earth?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Unfortunately - not usually. I think the cheapest that you can get into GOS assisted flight would probably be the Naza Lite. It has attitude (which I think is similar to loiter?), GPS and manual modes. There is RTH as a fail safe - but depending on the radio - there are some nifty ways to set it up on a switch.

EDIT: I guess GPS mode is more like loiter.

davey_b

Right, sorry for being a noob here but would this be a suitable FC? If I added a GPS module would that give me things like loiter and RTH?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think at this point we need to step back a bit. The one you just linked is another type of FC which will also take some time/effort to get to know.

I think the pixhawk may offer what you want - and may be a little easier than the multiwii, but still - neither are "simple."

So the question becomes, what exactly you are looking for (features) and how much time energy and ultimately money you're willing to spend.

davey_b

Ok, I'm looking ideally for loiter, RTH, maybe circle but not sure what other options you get really (showing my ignorance here!).

I'm not too fussed with a bit of setup and playing with new firmware if needed, I'm used to that with other things. I'm Scottish, therefore tight, and thus the least expensive options are good :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Wow. Learn something every day. Never knew the Scots were "tight." :)

If you're into the learning curve - go for it. Head on over to the 3DR site and start researching what the FC/peripheral options are. If you determine what you'll need, you can always fill in the list with the hobby king versions. Might save a little money.

Then get to the ardu wiki pages and get cracking. There's plenty to learn.

crayfellow

Ok, I'm looking ideally for loiter, RTH, maybe circle but not sure what other options you get really (showing my ignorance here!).

I'm not too fussed with a bit of setup and playing with new firmware if needed, I'm used to that with other things. I'm Scottish, therefore tight, and thus the least expensive options are good :)
Hi Davey,

It just so happens that 3DR are experiencing some growing pains right now so ordering from them has become a challenge.

However! There are some nice Pixhawk options which might work even better for you. For example, since RTH is important to you, then you want the best possible GPS available. The module 3DR sells today is a few generations old (I work in product dev and specifically products that include GPS capabilities).

While looking for a good M8N-based GPS for Pixhawk, I came upon the rctimer Fixhawk, which some may call a "clone" but that's really a misnomer since this is open hardware. It is very well made and has been working perfectly well with Mission Planner and APM Planner (the latter is Mac friendly, which I like).

Fixhawk is here, for $50 less than 3DR http://rctimer.com/product-1166.html
GPS/compass is here: http://rctimer.com/product-1287.html

I like it enough that I will probably get another ASAP for a rover project.

Sláinte!