NEX-5n / HDMI / gentLED incompatibility

Maverick

Hello folks,

I thought I'd give you an update :

I just recently installed my FreeFly HDMI converter, from Nex 5n to IMMRC VTx. Im using the gentLED shutterPLUS, via a 3way switch on my radio. I have camera set to AutoFocus, and I'm using the intelligent Auto [Shoot Mode].
I have the HDMI resolution set to 1080i, but the actual SD card recording is set to 1080p.

Stills and video are working perfectly for me every time. Hope it stays that way.....

Maverick.

gentled

Just like aForcefulThrust, I too noticed, that if "OBJECT TRACKING" was turned off, shutter only worked intermittently for stills. But if OBJECT TRACKING" is turned ON, shutter works EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Maverick.

Interesting. This is maybe an unfair question but "Why?"
Does this suggest that it works for any focus mode EXCEPT auto-focus?

gentled

Auto-focus is still on, as well as Object Tracking. Maybe I wasn't clear...? Both are ON.

Maverick.

Sorry, I'm not clear - or maybe one step ahead of myself.
I'm trying to get any handle I can on why it works in some modes and not in others and what that has to do with IR and HDMI.

With OBJECT TRACKING enabled (which seems counter intuitive) we're not really in "pure" auto-focus mode anymore, and that is the mode that has the problem.

For interest, if in this mode and flying what does it do? I guess it just shrugs its shoulders and goes back to infinity? Does this add any shutter latency?

Thank-you for the input, I have added it to the summary. http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/hdmi.htm

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Hello James,

We have been in contact by email over this issue. In fact it was myself that originally informed you of this Auto-Focus/HDMI anomaly. If one wishes to leave the Nex set to Auto-Focus there do appear to be workarounds and having Object Tracking activated is one of them. To me it suggests deficiencies with the Nex Auto-Focus system more than the HDMI implementation, in much the same way that the Panasonic GH2 has deficiencies within the HDMI implementation, but not auto-focus.

After all, this issue only affects the Nex when taking still photographs. Auto-Focus in video mode has not raised any warts. I must check the Nex menus - next time I have at least half an hour to kill - to see whether there is a menu item that prevents the shutter from firing if focus has not been achieved. This function exists on other cameras.

Ultimately it is merely consumer camera crap that we have have to live with. Not that this is any help to you because the uninformed will blame your i/r actuators!