Newbie's Frist Videos

Hey guys! Excited about the new site/forum.

Thought I'd post my first two videos as an introduction. I only just started getting into this hobby late last year, when I got a Syma X5C. I started building my first quad from scratch last month and have finally have it flying decently. It is a 380 size frame with random parts. This is very much a budget build.

There is still a lot to dial in on the copter. Auto-height doesn't work correctly and even the stabilization settings are off a bit, but I do have a gimbal! I don't have FPV (or GPS) right now, so I just have to point it in the general direction of the shot I want and hope :). I have been into photography for a few years now, so I do have some sense of composition, lighting, etc, which helps a lot.

Unfortunately the main lesson I've learned so far is:
If you want a camera carrier, just buy something off the shelf.
$350 (quad) + $400 (GoPro) + $150 (tx) + $60 (bat charger) = $960
I still don't have GPS, FPV, telemetry, or gimbal control :(. A Phantom or Yuneec would have been the same price or cheaper with more features.

Still to do:
  • Dial in settings on quad - Using the CC3d Revo, there are a ton of settings to get right.
  • Get some sort of FPV - Thinking about a 4" or 7" screen on the tx with a feed from the GoPro.
  • Learn proper settings for GoPro - I didn't use Protune for either of these, and need I to figure out shutter speed etc.
  • Get better video editing software - These were created in GoPro Studio, which is super limiting.
Enjoy!

Re-watching these I think I did quite a bit better on the second video. I setup the dual rates on the controller so that I have a bit smoother flying and I realized you have to hold a shot for much longer then you'd initially think.

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes learning happens at the expense of our bank account— but look at how much you've learned :)

The age old argument is whether to build or buy ready to fly. Some of the rtf stuff out there is fantastic, but what happens when it goes down and needs a rebuild? Or you want to upgrade?

Learning those skills early by building your own can save you a lot of money later. This is one of those opinions that is as individual as each person flying.

From the videos, it looks like you're off to a great start.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Not too shabby, I'm sure all these building skills will come handy if you ever get to the FPV racing part of the hobby. I built a few machines before there were any decent AP RTF rigs available, and had a blast doing it!

Talon Six

The age old argument is whether to build or buy ready to fly. Some of the rtf stuff out there is fantastic, but what happens when it goes down and needs a rebuild? Or you want to upgrade?

I've built two moderately expensive AP multirotors with top of the line power train components, props, batteries, the works. I also broke down and bought an Inspire last fall (partially thanks to Joe and Erick's constant talk on MRP about how great it is - they were right, BTW). Based on that full spectrum of experience, I think the DIY market has hit somewhat of a technological wall with regard to system integration.

In another thread on this forum, Petr and I talked a little bit about frustrations with the GoPro and inability to control settings in flight - something even a base model Phantom can do. I don't like having to set the GoPro settings on the ground, let the aircraft fly and just hope for the best while it's in flight. This has yielded very frustrating results for me in the past. Compare that to the extent of control that the Inspire has over camera settings and...well there is no comparison.

So from a "how do drones work" standpoint, I agree there is significant value in understanding the relationship between ESCs, flight controller, battery, motors, power distribution board, et cetera. Same with upgradability, however one could argue that the measure of how well a copter upgrades these days is more a factor of software rather than hardware - e.g. Solo v2.0 software.

However from an aerial photography user experience perspective, I do not think that the current offerings by DJI, Yuneec, Blade, 3DR, et cetera can be beat. No they are not as repair-friendly as a DIY aircraft, but the integration and in-flight satisfaction pushes the equation far in favor of the RTF builds.

BTW If you'd have told me a year ago that I'd be making this argument, I wouldn't have believed you.

That's the exact realization I've come to (and being a maker type, would have said I'd never make this argument as well).

I think for a acro or racing quad, DIY probably still makes sense, though I haven't built one yet. There is also the benefit of only buying one controller and knowing it really well.

However for pure AP, with my current DIY setup, I'm still way behind something that (like you said) a base Phantom can do. Even if I get a video transmitter and a screen, I still can't control my camera. Add to that, I could get some telemetry, but not advanced things like GPS map etc. My FC does have GPS option, and oplink down to GCS, but that would mean having a screen, controller, and laptop all out to see basic things that a off the shelf system has all in one unit. It also means I'd had 5 batteries (copter, gopro, screen, laptop, tx) to worry about during flight, instead of only 2.

I think part of this limitation is the camera really. If GoPro had some sort of SDK that worked with the USB port, there would at least be options to build on that would let users control it with something other then it's 2.4GHz wifi.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Agreed, I think it really depends on what you're in it for. RTF machines have come so far that they became a great, mostly hassle-free tools for AP/AV. For drone racing, there are some nice RTF entry level copters, but building your own seems to be the way to go and a large part of the fun. Also, heavy-lift drones will continue to be piece built, because of the low numbers and specific applications and operator preferences.
I think we'll be seeing the Inspire and similar machines bite into the SLR segment of the market more and more. I am actually considering getting rid of my S-900&GH4 and replace it with an Inspire Pro with X5R. It is easier to transport and handle, and much less intimidating to people you fly around. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking that.

Talon Six

Petr, can you explain how much integration you get from using a Zenmuse gimbal with a GH4 and an A2 flight controller? Is it do-able or does it still pale in comparison to the Inspire/Phantom interface?

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Petr, can you explain how much integration you get from using a Zenmuse gimbal with a GH4 and an A2 flight controller? Is it do-able or does it still pale in comparison to the Inspire/Phantom interface?

Good question, there is not much integration beyond being able to control your shutter. The rest of the camera adjustments need to be done on ground, which is ok, but sure makes one miss the remote adjustment functionality of the Inspire. The still photos seem to be very similar between the GH4 and the X5, however, the GH4 only lets you shoot in 16:9 ratio, which is a crop from a full sensor (GH4 limits the ration to 16:9 with HDMI-out plugged in). The video quality (4K) is better from GH4, I believe it's due to the difference in write speed/compression. The X5R may erase this difference with the integrated solid state drive. So to answer your question-as far as the integration is concerned, the S-900/GH4 combo does pale in comparison to the Inspire and Phantom. As far as video quality is concerned, the GH4 is superior, at least until I get my hands on the X5R.
The GH4 was not really designed to be flown - it's size, weight (the heavy magnesium body feels great in your hands, but only means that you need a larger frame drone to fly it). There is also no reason to fly the screen, flash, etc. - all just dead weight. Some of the clients still prefer the S-900/GH4 simply because the larger drone and camera makes it look more professional. The "little white quadcopter is a toy" mindset still seems to prevail.

Greetings all! I'm a new member and have been flying for just over a year now. I was trained by an aerospace engineer who insisted on the DIY approach but I'm a cinematographer. I'm Tech savvy, but I really didn't want to be soldering and tinkering. I wanted to be focused on the images. So when the Inspire came out with the integrated GO app, I knew the RTF platforms were for me. I was able to focus on my piloting skills, flight paths, and composition. With the dual operator mode I was able to begin training with my partners, change camera settings on the fly (no pun intended) and really key in our efforts on the capturing the best shots possible free from worrying about the aricraft itself. I too am looking forward to upgrading to the X5R.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@Roger Apolinar , love the video, your framing does suggest your cinematographer background, and seems like you guys are having a ton of fun with your machine. The arrival of the Inspire was a revolution in RTF machines. This one was the first really useful platform that did not require custom building and "constant tinkering". Once I got my inspire, my F550 (heck, even the S-900) were sitting around collecting dust. I'm waiting to see what people say about the X5R, but at this point I may wait for the next Inspire. I did have an opportunity to fly one with X5, and it still feels a bit too heavy compared to the X3. I hope that the I-2 (or whatever they call it) will mark another improvement in power, and hopefully beefs up the batteries (just like the Phantom did). Looking at Hobico's high capacity LiPo's, I'd think that DJI would be all over this tech.
Nice work, cheers to props!