Newbie T2i video auto focus question...

hjls3

So I am having a great time taking pictures with AD6HL - AV130 - Stratto Snapper - T2i. I am wanting to try my hand at some video. How do you guys focus the video while flying? Has me perplexed. Any help on the matter would be appreciated...perhaps I am missing the simple solution???? I have a GoPro hero2 and a Sony AS-10 on the way - maybe that is the answer, however, still want to try it with the T2i.

Michael64

If you what reliable focus you need to use manual focus to many time the shot you really need will be off so the only safe way is to use manual focus that way one less thing to worry about.

Michael64

jcmonty

Pretty sure that the T2i doesn't have a continuous autofocus setting (at least I haven't found one). Like Michael said, use manual focus -generally set to infinity. I have found that setting focus with the digital zoom helps a lot. Also magic lantern has a zoom-focus option that works well to help set manual focus pre-flight.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hmmm, don't have my camera with me but I could have sworn the T2i has continuous autofocus while shooting video. maybe I was wrong?

Jodde73

It does not matter what lens you put on the T2i, there is no continuous autofocus in video mode. Canon recently released t4i (eos 650d), it have continuous autofocus. It works, but not reliable, with the new STM lenses. (with the ultrasonic lenses the focusing is jerky while "hunting")
I would go for a large depth of field by by stopping down the lens (high aperture value) and set the focus manually to near infinity.