Newbie questions about batteries

eturn23

I just built my first multi-rotor (DJI FW 450) and learned how to fly it. I have 4500mAh / 4S / 14.8v / 30C batteries. How low in voltage is it safe to go?

I am using a Spektrum DX8 transmitter. I just hooked up the telemetry module and re-bound the system but the battery voltage isn't reading on the telemetry screen? Any ideas how to correct the situation?

Thanks...

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
General rule is 20%, get a LiPo battery tester it will make your life much easier.

Pete

CdA D

I just built my first multi-rotor (DJI FW 450) and learned how to fly it. I have 4500mAh / 4S / 14.8v / 30C batteries. How low in voltage is it safe to go?

I am using a Spektrum DX8 transmitter. I just hooked up the telemetry module and re-bound the system but the battery voltage isn't reading on the telemetry screen? Any ideas how to correct the situation?

Thanks...

Make sure you set your values in the telemetry settings and activate the telemetry.

Electro 2

To see the TM screen: after boot 'n bind, scroll the roller to the right, all the various forms of TM display are there. This assumes you have gone to the Spektrum "model memory" config screen and configured the TM system. A practical in-flight minimum for a 4 cell pack would be 13.3 or so, no lower. A better value for some return-to-home head room would be 14V.

Rhino

The voltage sensor that comes with the Telemetry module looks like a tiny white plug at one end and red/black leads at the other end. Those leads should be soldered to the same color leads going into your ESC; tiny white plug into TM1000.

Go to Youtube and search for RC Model Reviews and watch his videos which explain lipos and lipo care in great detail. It's a must.

I've read Bartmans "Understanding Lithium Polymer Batteries" 3-4 times....and have the SAME headache I had in college trying to comprehend Calculus! ( Mind you I DID manage to graduate and have over 28 years in welding/mechanical engineering & structural welding failure analysis)....but I STILL can't wrap my head around most of it.
For the record I have a Phantom with a Tarot2d gimabal with a Simensays Retrocage for my GoProBlack. The Gimbal is running off a 450mah 3s battery.

the Immersion 650mw Tx, Flytrex tracker & camera/Quad run off of either a stock Phantom 2200mah or a Nanotech 45-90C

The Quad/camera/TX run approx 3.5-5 min ( battery depending) with 8 inch props ( testing to be on 9 inch slow-fly next sunny day)

How long can I expect the Gimbal battery to last in use...continuous?...I've done a random "jiggle & sit " test....and it's lasted past 3 hours....but...without a constant attitude adjustment challenge...I can't imagine this to be true.

Any Hints from the "Pro's"??

Lost in Missouri ( well...KC)

CdA D

I've read Bartmans "Understanding Lithium Polymer Batteries" 3-4 times....and have the SAME headache I had in college trying to comprehend Calculus! ( Mind you I DID manage to graduate and have over 28 years in welding/mechanical engineering & structural welding failure analysis)....but I STILL can't wrap my head around most of it.
For the record I have a Phantom with a Tarot2d gimabal with a Simensays Retrocage for my GoProBlack. The Gimbal is running off a 450mah 3s battery.

the Immersion 650mw Tx, Flytrex tracker & camera/Quad run off of either a stock Phantom 2200mah or a Nanotech 45-90C

The Quad/camera/TX run approx 3.5-5 min ( battery depending) with 8 inch props ( testing to be on 9 inch slow-fly next sunny day)

How long can I expect the Gimbal battery to last in use...continuous?...I've done a random "jiggle & sit " test....and it's lasted past 3 hours....but...without a constant attitude adjustment challenge...I can't imagine this to be true.

Any Hints from the "Pro's"??

Lost in Missouri ( well...KC)

I use a factor of 3.2-3.6 for my batteries. It's for failsafe. This might be a little simple, but if you have telemetry then just keep an eye on it or just use a stopwatch and see what you get. You'd have to figure in wind, humidity, temp, time to altitude and maneuvering. Just go out and have some fun and do some test and take notes. You'll have it done in no time. Just a thought.