Newbie Question

mrob73

I am trying to choose motors for my next build, a hoverthings flip frame. I am not sure exactly what to use. I have 20 amp esc's, hobbywing quattro. The more I read the more confused I become. Can someone please explain in simple terms what all the numbers mean. KV and such. Sorry to be such a newb.

Danub

are you going to be using 3s or 4s? If 3s you will want motors around 1000-1200kv. . . .4s 700-900kv for a "beginning point"
Is this your first build? Do you want economy motors or premium motors?
kv is the number of rpm's per volt of electricity. . . a 1000kv motor will spin at 1000 rpms when given 1 volt of electricity (if not overloaded)
but that is only "part" of the motors story. . . how many volts/cells of power and amps a motor can handle also come into play.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrob73

I was planning on using 3s because I have lots of them from my 450 helis. This is my second build, but my first that I have to select motors, esc's and props and determine efficiency. I was thinking about middle of the road motors.

cruiser

I'm a newbie too. After a lot of researching, reading the forums for over 3 months, I've just ordered the Sunnysky X2212 1250 kv motors for my F450 build (my first build). Am using 3s too. These motors are a bit more expensive than HK ones but are really, really good. Well balanced (causing least vibrations, unlike the cheap ones) and great performance. A lot of multirotor gurus think that the Sunnysky is a clone/OEm of Tiger motors. My reasoning to go with these was that I can port them onto my next build for AP as I get better. I've ordered them through an ebay seller "vocanlo". I've ordered 5 motors (one spare, just in case:) I've already bought a LOT of *" and 9" props.
A lot of people are using the Sunnysky X2212 980kv motors with 10" props. But for me, I want to get good at sport flying first. So I went with the combo I mentioned. Hope this helps.