Newbie question - DJI F550 and FPV using GoPro 3

domx

Hi All,

First post, so be gentle :)

I've got my first multi-rotor (DJI F550) which has a gimball for my GP3. I'd like to add Fat Shark FPV, but have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to have the GP3 recording vidoe whilst also acting as the output camera for the FPV.... or do I need a dedicated FPV camera?
2) I cheated and had the F550 built for me. How easy is it to add FPV?
3) Does the FPV system use a seperate battery or can I run it off the ones I have for the F550?

Any other tips/help/advice most welcome.

Thanks,
Dom.

tstrike

pendejo grande
1) Is it possible to have the GP3 recording vidoe whilst also acting as the output camera for the FPV.... or do I need a dedicated FPV camera?
2) I cheated and had the F550 built for me. How easy is it to add FPV?
3) Does the FPV system use a seperate battery or can I run it off the ones I have for the F550?

Any other tips/help/advice most welcome.

Thanks,
Dom.

Hi Dom, I'll try and help a bit...
1) Yes you can use your gp3 for your fpv cam, you'll need to get the special cable though and it makes it a little harder to fly fpv when the camera is on a gimbal.
2) It's not hard to add fpv you'll need a power source wether it be a line coming off your flightpack or a separate battery to power your video transmitter. Some guys use the balance plug on their flight battery but I've heard this can drain cells unevenly.
3) This depends on the voltage requirements of your vtx, some only need 5V so you'll have to use something that takes your battery's voltage and drops it down to your vtx voltage. Some fpv vtx's can run on anything up to a 4s battery, others can't.

hope this helps.

domx

Thanks Tstrike... that does help a lot.

If I were to drop the idea of using the GP as the FPV camera (due to the gimball issue you mention), what camera would you recommend as a good solid unit that's easy enough to setup and use?

Thanks again,
Dom.

Hi Dom, I'll try and help a bit...
1) Yes you can use your gp3 for your fpv cam, you'll need to get the special cable though and it makes it a little harder to fly fpv when the camera is on a gimbal.
2) It's not hard to add fpv you'll need a power source wether it be a line coming off your flightpack or a separate battery to power your video transmitter. Some guys use the balance plug on their flight battery but I've heard this can drain cells unevenly.
3) This depends on the voltage requirements of your vtx, some only need 5V so you'll have to use something that takes your battery's voltage and drops it down to your vtx voltage. Some fpv vtx's can run on anything up to a 4s battery, others can't.

hope this helps.